Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I boosted my car a few months ago, everything is fine. Last night I was driving it a little hard (just up to 4k), did like 5 pulls. Then I go home and a little smoke is coming out of the engine bay. I'm like what the...

I open the hood and smoke is coming out the hose that is coming FROM the black box. (I don't have it connected to anything- just hanging). I take of the oil cap and smoke is coming out the oil filler. So I turned off the car. SMH :bash:

So what gives?

I have the valve cover breather hose venting to atmosphere and the hose coming from the blackbox vented to atmosphere(without the PCV valve). Those two hoses are suppose to go to my vented catch can but I haven't done it yet. I thought that was enough to release the pressure from the crankcase. Is not like if I connect the hoses to a catch can, the catch can is going to magically release the pressure. Isn't it letting it vent to atmosphere the same thing as connecting those two hoses to a catch can? Or am I missing something?? :uh: How can I release pressure from the crankcase?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a compression test and I got

Cylinder1 60psi
Cylinder2 160psi
Cylinder3 160psi
Cylibder4 155psi

Soooo, my life sucks. Now what? How do I get my car back to normal?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Buy new pistons and rebuild the engine. Simple as that

If the bearings are perfect put them back in same exact location if your feeling cheap. Hone cylinders and pop new pistons in.

You likely need a less aggressive tune.. detonation kills ringlands

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
What is "hone and new pistons"

How much is this? what does it consist of? and I have to re-tune it again? I don't even know how this happended. I half-throttle to 4k and is an 8 PSI turbo. Doesn't get anymore baby'ing than that! Life sucks man SMH.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
So what do I need to fix this...I'm doing some research as well but these one liners from people don't really help. Is like pulling teeth SMH
So I gotta get these

75mm Vitara Pistons

So I NEED to change the Rods and get some Eagle Rods? Or is it like a water pump timing belt type of thing....since you are changing the pistons might as well change the rods?
I think I need to change the head gasket and do I get new head bolts??
What else am I missing?
And around how much does this cost?
Is this consider an 'engine rebuilt'?
Is this basically getting me another 150,000 miles on my engine?
With these Vitara pistons is it less prone for this to happen again since they are suited for turbo applications and they are low compression?
Should I vent the crankcase more? (Obviously the engine got too much pressure for this to happen)

Help me! Thanks Lol

·
Registered
274 Posts
On a D motor, if you have the money, Rods would def be well worth it since your already pulling the piston/s out. If you have no engine building/ tearing apart experience i wouldnt trail and error on it. IF it was me. I'd get Forged rods(eagle, scat, crower), new pistons, and new OEM bearings. Either pay a 'friend' who knows what theyre doing to help you out, or suck it up and pay the hefty cost of having a shop do it for ya. on the Parts alone your prob looking at $800ish

Crankcase venting wasnt your issue. especailly if you have it atmostpherically vented.. As everyone is telling you, Detonation is a contributor to what happened. Look up what that means and you'll understand

Oh and no Vitara pistons arent gonna help prevent what happened. On a good tune your stock pistons should be fine. If your combusting right, your pistons dont take the beating, its the rods and bearings

·
Registered
477 Posts
You have a lot to learn my friend.

Like he said above either have someone help you build the motor.. have a shop do it or start reading and asking questions and you will find the answers you are looking for to do it on you own.

You can find all the info you need on this website if you search

Here are some links to get you started..

P2P0 | YCP 75mm Vitara Pistons & Custom Length Rods Combo D16 piston and rod combo for $345

If you scroll down they sell the engine bearings for the D series motors also.. $115

Might as well do a water pump, timing belt, oil pump and ARP head studs also.

You cant just throw the parts in and call it a day though you need to check your oil clearances and Piston to wall clearances to see if you blocks cylinder walls are warn or egg shaped.. If they are you need to bore and hone out the blocks cylinder walls and run 75.5mm pistons.

I agree with what people said... you cracked a ring or ring land because of a bad tune... so really it doesnt matter how well built your bottom end is.. if the tune is off shit hits the fan.. like it did.

What are you running for ECU? chipped? basemap? street/dyno tuned?

Post more info about your setup if your going to talk about engine building also bro how do we know what motor you have? lol

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
If you're having problem sealing the rings now then why get 75mm? Spend that money on a 75.5 instead of 75mm. I don't believe vitara will work on stock rods as it is a press fit you can either use Eagle or there's a couple choices on custom length rods Rc, p2, Fj if you can find it. It's not cheap to rebuild a motor but this forum has all the info you will need in your build. Check Rc Autoworks piston and combo package deal.
Good luck on the rebuild

·
Registered
118 Posts
75.5mm is the way to go, Vitara with Eagle Rods, ARP Head Studs, OEM HG, King Bearings it's all that you have to do.

What injector size are you running? What Software into the ECU? Power goals??

A very good tune is very very very important buddy.

·
Two men shy of a group
1,312 Posts
So what do I need to fix this...I'm doing some research as well but these one liners from people don't really help. Is like pulling teeth SMH
no one wants to spoon feed you, its not hard to go to google and ask the same things your asking here, or you can even go to your local machine shop and ask them what a bore and hone are.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Like everyone else said its all in the tune. Ive been boosted for a year on a bone stock 200k motor putting down 200+ whp with no problem. If youre on a tight budget I say buy a motor off of craigslist, throw it in and get a good tune! If you want more power start saving for a full rebuild. Its gonna cost at least $1000 between rods, pistons, gaskets, water pump, timing belt, machine shop, ect

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
75.5mm is the way to go, Vitara with Eagle Rods, ARP Head Studs, OEM HG, King Bearings it's all that you have to do.

What injector size are you running? What Software into the ECU? Power goals??

A very good tune is very very very important buddy.
Wow.. I cant believe it was because of a bad tune...I mean if everyone here is telling me this, then I guess you guys are right. I mean to justified the 'it was because of a bad tune' I can say I guess so because I purposely picked a small turbo, boosted to 8psi only... Got 400cc injectors.. Shifted ALWAYS around 4k.. nothing crazy. You know 8psi is like baby talk in the turbo world. Lol I didn't want to mess up my car, so I didn't put in nothing crazy...I can't believe this happened...this sucks :jailbait:

So I was doing some research... I know you guys told me to get the pistons and rods.

I originally wanted to get Vitara pistons/eagle rods because of low compression thinking this will help me with this NOT happening again. I was willing to pay extra for this. But someone here said, it doesn't matter it its high or low compression. Can someone confirm this. Cause if that's the case, I'll just get OEM pistons/rods combo. NPR. Its like $650 vs $350. So OEM or Vitara/eagles.. :fart:

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
If you're gonna do a rebuild with rods and pistons, just save a lil for forged.
I jumped on the vitara / eagle combo with the engine in the car now. I have since been saving parts for a spare engine that will have wiseco pistons.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts