Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
civic eg3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed after time the white plastic cam belt cover starts to yellow and look tatty. Here's the way i cleaned them and they turned out great. Hope this helps some of you.

I am also working on re doing the spark plug stickers on the top to put back to original. If any one else would like me to do them any ill have a go and email you them back :)

Firstly clean all the oil and loose crap off part with thinners. I used gun wash but i would expect white spirit or turps to work just aswell.

Once the majority of the dirt is removed use a toothbrush, warm water and fairy liquid to clean the rest off and leave to soak for around 15 mins.

Now dry the parts and cover with hydrogen peroxide (i used 20 vol, i girlfreind who work in a hair salon makes this part easier :) ) leave for at least 30 mins.

30 mins have past now scrub with a scouring pad and leave to soak again for a further 30 mins

Rinse the part thourghly to remove any peroxide the soak in warm water and bleach, the scrub!

Now they are clean wash thourghly wash with soapy water and leave to air dry.

There you have your nice clean cam belt covers.

Hope this helped some of you.

Will

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Haha nice job. Sams club sells a 1gallon jug of purple degreaser, I mixed it 10:1 with hot water and rinsed mine for about 10 minutes with a scrubber brush. Came out shiny and new I was really impressed with the degreaser.

-Luke

·
Registered
354 Posts
i might have to do that here soon that looks really good!

·
Registered
ek coupe
119 Posts
Looks great....amazing what a little soap and water will do.

·
Registered
civic eg3
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! They look brand new! Where are you going to get the new spark plug stickers? I don't think the dealer sells them separate.
Thanks, No i am re- designing them on photoshop getting them as close to the original as i can, Then im gonna get them put on some sticker.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
nice it came out good i will do this only i might paint mine since im picky

·
Registered
above
332 Posts
The one thing I learned from auto detailing, most dirt, grease, contaminants, etc are water soluable, but besides that, theres a cure for every kind of dirt, came out looking great good job :bigok:

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
You can pour a hard mold then use a vacuum technique to make a vacuum mold out of clear plastic. Saw it done in a tuner mag can't remember which one. Or cut one out of some material like wood and then vacuum mold.

·
Registered
903 Posts
If you use a higher lift peroxide it will work quicker. Its used to go from alot darker hair to alot lighter color. Grew up in a beauty salon. Also I have recently found out over cleaner works miracles with little to no work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts