Honda D Series Forum banner

Which wiring harness to use for empty shell

761 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Oldcivicjoe 
#1 ·
Hello guys, new member here. I've been searching for the past few days but I couldn't find anyone else with quite the same issue as me.

I recently bought a really nice EG hatch shell with zero rust and great paint and as a bonus it came with the suspension + a radiator and a steering rack. I got it for really cheap and have always wanted to build a car from the ground up like that.

I have a D15B2 block and from reading around I understand that it's the same as the B7. I also have a Y8 head and plan on assembling a minime and dropping that into the car. I already have a P28 ECU.

My biggest issue is that I'm not sure which wiring harnesses are the best for my case. I'm assuming that the easiest engine loom will be the one from a D15B7 since I won't have to add anything for the injectors as the B7 is MPFI and I will only need to add some wires for the VTEC. The B7 engine looms are also quite cheap and plentiful here.

What should I do for the interior loom? Can I use any interior loom from a 92-95 hatchback? What about the coupes and 4 doors, would they work too? I'm thinking about buying a scrap EG to pull the interior loom and interior plastics and cluster etc from, can I just buy a D15B7 engine loom and any EG hatch trim and mix and match the interior and engine looms? Does the donor car also have to be OBD1 or can it be an OBD0 car?

I'm a bit lost as to what to do and would appreciate any help, thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
The firewall harness from any 92-95 will work, you can then mix and match add on harness like ac, power windows and doors, rear section harness, head light harness ect to suit the build, the b7 engine harness will be good, just 3 wires to add from ecu to passenger fenderwell(assuming the cabin harness won't be from an ex or si) and from fenderwell to vtec and oil pressure switch.

#3 ·
Thanks a lot for the help. Can you just clarify a few things, I've worked on an EK civic before but I think the harness situation was different.

What do you call the firewall harness and what do you call the cabin harness? Also, what are the 3 wires that I will need to add, apart from the VTEC?

#4 ·
Firewall harness is what I call the main harness under the dash, think honda refers to it as the main cabin harness, and depending on how much I've smoked I might use either term, sorry for the confusion. 5th gen civics didn't all have the vtec wires in that harness, so you may need to add them there as well as to the engine harness.

#5 ·
Thanks a lot for clearing all this up. And my last question is: how many more harnesses are there? 1. Engine bay harness that goes from the headlights to the ECU 2. The firewall/main cabin harness under the dash (assuming this is for the instrument cluster and heater and all of that stuff) and is there a third one that goes from the firewall harness to the tailights? My car will be manual windows/mirrors/no cruise control, the only "extra" that it will have is a sunroof.

Again thanks for all the help.😀

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.