1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there,
My setup is:
D16 ZC VTEC - Built bottom end with CP 9:1/Eagles.
900CC Bosch EV14 injectors.
Walbro 991 Fuel pump
High density FMIC with 2.5" charge pipes.
2.5" Straight exhaust pipe with 20vt back muffler.
Greddy type RS BOV.
Ebay cast iron T3 manifold with Tial external WG ,downtube marging with downpipe.

Currently running a T3/T4. By the times it ran well, It was pulling real hard and made decent power up top, and I liked it, but it was a bit laggy for me. Now it started with some surging on high boost and is leaking oil.

I want a good turbo, which can bring me around 400HP at the motor, and make a wide usuable powerband (fast spool) as far as possible, without hurting too much the high end power (I know it's a bit problematic). My biggest concern is doing at least 8s 100-200kph.

I was thinking about twisted motion GT2871R ver 2. I've heard really good things about this turbo from the SR20DET community.
I was also thinking about the CXRACING T3/T4 stage 3 ball bearing turbo. Anyone has any idea about them? Are they spooling faster then the old journal bearing ones?

Please tell me what would you recommend for my setup and goals?

Also, I'll be happy to hear from you guys about your D16 turbo setups and experience.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
Anything twin scroll with a compressor map that pleases your needs.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
i dont know what the hell a t3/t4 is, or the 500+ different turbos that it represents, but any of the evo 8 or above turbos will meet your needs and be pretty darn responsive as long as the manifold is properly designed for it

·
Registered
99 Posts
Open your wallet nice and wide and get a twin scroll Borg Warner EFR 6258. Seriously. You want 400 hp and a broad power curve? Open your wallet.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Uhh T3/T4 is just the flange/cover size. Doesnt mean shit.

Someone needs to learn about turbos and proper turbo sizing

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The twinscroll thing sounds really intersting to me. Is there any cheaper alternative other then the borgwarner?
Another thing, I should get a special manifold for it, or just a maching flange will do the job?

·
Registered
Sloppy Jalopy
981 Posts
The twinscroll thing sounds really intersting to me. Is there any cheaper alternative other then the borgwarner?
Another thing, I should get a special manifold for it, or just a maching flange will do the job?
yes ,you will need a manifold designed for a twin scroll,

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
$1500-1800 for a BW turbo that will last years of abuse is EASILY worth that money

the notion of turbos being cheaper than a grand for a new one is a foolish one made from ebay and china sellers.

Go ahead and look up the price for a brand new evo 10 turbo for USDM. the price is higher than many think

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not only is a BW going to last, in short they're just engineered better. If you want to spend less money then change your goals. You're asking too much from a 1.6 L engine without spending a relatively high amount of money.

·
Retired From Hondas
2,796 Posts
Just looking at the manifold, the cast is a great choice for longevity. It wont crack and will hold up.

The problem is it gets restrictive when talking big numbers. Its great for 200-250hp area. But what is this car intended? If its for drag than you have a long way to go. If its for street, you have a long way to go.

You want 400 HP? Than your have to get to the big boy league of proper parts (which includes big boy wallet)
YOu should look at other Dseries builds and see what turbo's they are running. a 1.6L doesnt have the same characteristics as say a 2.0L. 9.1 is a low CR for a streetable set up. I would stay in the upper 9's for throttle response and spool. For 400hp you want to look for a turbo that flows 43lbs/min area. but realize it might spool late since its such a big turbo and fed by tiny cylinders. So theres a give and take in the turbo world. So finding a properly sized turbo for response and efficiency is key!

Dont try and be that guy who thinks they can go cheap and have it work. Those who tried are still rebuilding after a few weeks of accomplishing their goal then everything went south fast.

Cheap
Reliable
Fast

^^
Pick 2 and the 3rd is what it isnt.

·
Registered
Honda Civic EH 95
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand you point guys, but the BW turbo is just too expensive for me.
Maybe I'll set my goals a little different. I want the setup to be as responsive and possible, while achiving 100-200kph in 8 sec. I know that bigger turbos and bigger hp numbers not always telling how fast the car moves.
I saw this video on youtube (
) and this car moves really great for a gt28rs imo.
Do you think that gt28rs/gt2871r can reach my goals?

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
That driver sucks in the vid lol.....
But really he shouldnt do pulls like that on a close to emtpy tank.

But back to you . I think your reaching outside your means.

Gotta pay to play.
Make a goal of what you want and work towards it. If you gotta spend more money then you plan then so be it.

And yes that turbo will make your goals.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
always plan to spend more than what you think it will cost. This is just a reality especially with that HP figure. Flip has spent years trying to hit 600hp and has had a lot of setbacks. Kudos to him btw.

·
()*#$(*$
93 Legend L Coupe.
11,404 Posts
A few things that I don't see mentioned:

1. No one ever mentions gearing. Having a short/close transmission to keep you in boost/VTEC when shifting will go a very long way to moving the car more efficiently. Also, having an EMS that allows flat foot shifting greatly reduces stresses of shifting and the transient back to boost.

2. A more efficient intake manifold will go a long way to keeping torque flat at higher RPM which you will want and need to meet your goal.

3. 2.5" exhaust is not what I would be using to achieve the smallest spool time. I would suggest a 3" downpipe and exhaust. Turbos work on pressure differentials. The greater the pressure differential, the more work the turbo can do for a given amount of energy input. You need to maximizes the efficiency with a D15 since you are simply displacing less air per revolution.

4. It is going to be easier to hit your goals by lightening the car, re-gearing and pursuing efficiency over trying to make more power that is just more difficult with even less displacement and exhaust gas velocity (due to the engine geometry).

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Nothing thats gonna make 400whp is going to spool up quickly on a 1.6L.

Sad to say but ever thought about building a K24? Seriously, its not that expensive and you can probably take ur current turbo and swap it over and have a quick spooler that makes 400whp all day, probably on pump!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts