Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 94 dx with i/h/e and a stage 2 cam. i also have a Z6 intake manifold and a Y8 manifold sitting my garage and i was wonder which one would yeild more to end power on my d15b7??

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
from what ive read u get better air flow from the y8

·
Registered
98 Civic EX
3,189 Posts
the y8 is going to flow better, but if you don't have the upgrades to take advantage of this, go with the z6 like transzex said...besides the z6 will be much eaier to deal with, since the y8 has a different iacv...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Y8, it has a bigger plennum.
It's even considered to be an equivalent of type-r mani for a d-series engine.
Flow tests have shoed that it flows better too :TU:
I'd like to see these tests that shows it flows better. Everything I've seen shows it depends casting to casting. The only consistant differance is the Y8 will be lean in the 3rd cylinder.

·
Registered
95 civic ex coupe
3,862 Posts
i would go with a z6.. from what ive heard over the years .. the y8 makes cylinder 3 or 4 run leaner for some reason

run z6 or save your money for a skunk2

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,239 Posts
Anyone tested them at the track?

How much slower was the Y8?

You might gain 1-2 hp on top, but lose 4-5 in the midrange.

Z6 was faster in the 1/4 mile, reason I sold the Y8 intake with GSR TB. I'd also tried a Z6 TB on a Y8, got a little faster, but still would run 15.0's.

Put the Z6 intake and TB back on, 14.86, SELL the junk.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I'd like to see these tests that shows it flows better. Everything I've seen shows it depends casting to casting. The only consistant differance is the Y8 will be lean in the 3rd cylinder.
There was an article about it in "Honda Tuning" magazine, and they flow tested them, Y8 came out on top.

I don't remember which issue it was since I don't subscribe to it, I just read them at work.

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
Honda Tuning did an articleon this last year. They built the "ultimate D" they compared 3 manifolds from civics including the z6 and the y8 and they said the y8 in the end made more horsepower then the z6

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
It's also 1 of each manifold. Someone did a test where they compared a few of each and it was 50/50 split in the end.

·
Registered
1994 EH9
616 Posts
i have a z6 engine with a skunk2 mani but if i had to pick between the z5 mani and the y8 mani id go y8. Just my opnion though

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
There was an article about it in "Honda Tuning" magazine, and they flow tested them, Y8 came out on top.

I don't remember which issue it was since I don't subscribe to it, I just read them at work.
ok guess its time to do some digging.

Honda Tuning did an article on this last year. They built the "ultimate D" they compared 3 manifolds from civics including the z6 and the y8 and they said the y8 in the end made more horsepower then the z6
can't compare one engine to another, so manifolds tested on one particular engine are not really valid. each engine will have different requirements for air flow making the end result different. (just for example) maybe a engine with a big cam could work better with the y8, but then a boosted engine could work better with the z6. or vise versa the next time around. know what i mean? so unless the tests were on a flow bench, the results are not really hard "fact".

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
Honda Tuning did an articleon this last year. They built the "ultimate D" they compared 3 manifolds from civics including the z6 and the y8 and they said the y8 in the end made more horsepower then the z6
yea, they also blew that motor up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts