Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone know which is better for boost? Being that the A2 is vtec-e I thought the A1 might be better?? I searched around but had no results?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know they have the least amount of aftermarket support, but I have a 05 civic and don't want to do a k- series swap. So as far as staying legal I don't have anyother option...

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
*this is what i have read*

you can do a mini me with the A2 head. from what i read with some searching the blocks are supposedly the same just cylinder head differences. but if you are wanting vtec for later on, you need to just wait until you can get an ecu and have it reflashed with your vin in the eprom. that way when you key is inserted it will start your engine. also you may need to get another engine harness unless you want to fabricate the vtec wiring yourself. also from what ive read, if you DONT have vtec hooked up in this engine, which i also know is true, your engine will run in a limp mode and throw a CEL.

basically...your looking at a lot of work for every little gain. even tho Kseries is expensive its your best option ATM.
the A1 only gets 117hp to the crank and the A2 (vtec) is only gonna get you 127hp to the crank.

honestly i would just do I/H/E you'll have better gains for cheaper and much less work.

theres also a thread on D series, not sure if you have read it or not. http://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-gen/129303-d17a1-d17a2-conversion.html

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I've read about the swap. That's not was I'm intending to do. My car has the a2 now. I'm planning on building an engine for use with a turbo. So either way I'm going to buy a second engine, and leave the factory one in as a daily driver until the new one is complete. So I didn't know if one engine was better then the other. I'm guessing the a2 because of the vtec and extra 10 hp.

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
oh well yeah then just buy another a2. didnt know you could boost those, do they make piggy backs for the ecu's to tune them? thought only k series had the aftermarket support on all honda obd2b's well that and the s2000 motor lol

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea you can. You have to use a kpro or the aem standalone system. If you want to go over 10psi, at least that's what I'm told.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
213 Posts
The a2 has vtec and has higher compression compared to the a1. Kpro is your best bet either N/A or Boost. Either motor is fine for boost.

·
Registered
96 civic coupe d16y7
262 Posts
d17 FTL

·
Registered
96 civic coupe d16y7
262 Posts
d17+boost=baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The only thing getting banged is his wallet on that hopes and dreams machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea yea I know, its going to be spendy and I wont get too much out of it. It is what it is though. Thats what I have and Ill make it work.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
A suitable ECU might be your biggest challenge.

Any engine will respond well to turbocharging so long as the compression/boost total is not to high and you have fuel with the octane to support your compression plus boost level and you have the facility to supply enough fuel and to pull timing.

The non V tec may actually be easier to boost as you will not need to sort out boost level and v-tec tip in points.

You need to research ECUs for your model.

I would think any mod to the fuel system or ignition timing tune might be illegal. If so, adding boost will be illegal. Whether or not you can or want to get away with it and pass emissions testing is another story.

·
Registered
1988 Honda CRX
6,676 Posts
d17+boost=baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a pretty broad statment. Do you have anything to back it up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been looking into the kpro, I've heard that is one of the only options if your planning on going over 10psi due to the map sensor on that model. Luckily where I live I have no emissions, so won't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
It is possible to run a pretty sick and nasty boosted d17...our own member Speedfoos has one to prove it.

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
damn, guess i'm behind the times here a bit. Well, yours was nice!

·
Registered
'02 Civic LX Coupe
609 Posts
me too man, it sucks. I'm stationed in germany and i left mine back home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts