Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
the hard-parker
4,257 Posts
z6 or y8. there's been debates between the y8 and z6 about which one flows better ported.from what I hear, the z6 flows better ported. I'm biased, but i'd say the y8 due to the V-tec. but I'm sure some masters of the d-series will give their imput. take it away guys.

O

·
0 Posts
Z6 flows the best for FI. the Z6 is a v-tech head BTW.
it's a 92-95 sohc v-tec instead of a 96-2k model.

D

·
0 Posts
oscar you say v-tech again i'll slap you!!!!! thats a damn phone! anyway back to the topic.. go d16a6 for Turbo.. lower compression and easier to tune.

O

·
0 Posts
why would he want to run a older setup when he can run a newer better flowing head? :p The Z6 head flows the best of any head sohc head for FI. He's also looking for V-tech ( :p ) hehe, so he might already have a car setup with it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
oscarmayer said:
why would he want to run a older setup when he can run a newer better flowing head? :p The Z6 head flows the best of any head sohc head for FI. He's also looking for V-tech ( :p ) hehe, so he might already have a car setup with it.
what year is the z6 from

D

·
0 Posts
OR he can stay d16a6 and get a port & polish... turbo cam and the whole internals.. and use his stock a6 distributor cuz you know its the stock a6 head and not have to buy a y7 distributor or whatever works on it to get the correct timing he needs...

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
DraZtiK said:
OR he can stay d16a6 and get a port & polish... turbo cam and the whole internals.. and use his stock a6 distributor cuz you know its the stock a6 head and not have to buy a y7 distributor or whatever works on it to get the correct timing he needs...
very true .. a6 would work fine as well ... port that bitch .. throw in a big cam .. upgrade the valvetrain and your good to go

A

·
0 Posts
A6 flows best.

Q: What is VTEC?
A: Just a bigger cam.
I agree, but the is something useful for vtec. IF your car is a daily driver, and you are trying for HP, a very argessive cam will make the idle in a non vtec head horiable. With vtec the low rpm lobes dont have to be as agressive as the high ones.

IMO thats jsut about the only reason v-tec is good. and is is only for the select few tht want 500whp and need a very agressive cam. That is why i think that mini me swaps are just a waist of time. v-tec is not everything with a honda. mostly it was designed to make more power high end and keep gas mileage low end. who cares about gas mileage when yuo are building your motor.

in other words, stick with yuor a6, build the head with a full p&p and your done, that saves you a whole lot of trouble. IF you want a little compression increase, have the head milled a little. Drop a turbo on and your good for 200+whp on stock internals (If tuned properly).

O

·
0 Posts
if you "already" have an a6 motor, then stay with it, if you have a 92+ motor, then your "BEST" solution for FI is the Z6 head. it fows the best of the heads. It even outflows he a6. why? the A6 was designed with fuel economy in mind this the ports angles are not as flow based and the volocities won't be as high. On a FI motor Volocity of flow is what makes or breaks you. Would you take a fully build bottom end and drop in a stock head and expect to hit 20 lbs of boost safley and it last? NO. well takign an older head placing it on the newer 92+ designs is the same concept. your trying to take an older technology and adapt it to modern flow numbers. the Z6 has longer even flowing runners that have a good angle tot and from the valving sections. Thus allowing for optium volocity of flow.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
oscarmayer said:
if you "already" have an a6 motor, then stay with it, if you have a 92+ motor, then your "BEST" solution for FI is the Z6 head. it fows the best of the heads. It even outflows he a6. why? the A6 was designed with fuel economy in mind this the ports angles are not as flow based and the volocities won't be as high. On a FI motor Volocity of flow is what makes or breaks you. Would you take a fully build bottom end and drop in a stock head and expect to hit 20 lbs of boost safley and it last? NO. well takign an older head placing it on the newer 92+ designs is the same concept. your trying to take an older technology and adapt it to modern flow numbers. the Z6 has longer even flowing runners that have a good angle tot and from the valving sections. Thus allowing for optium volocity of flow.
well right now i have a d16y7 and im going to just port that head and like 1mm oversize valves in it then use my 92-95 intake manifold on it I think that should flow ok

how do you think it will work??

O

·
0 Posts
you canl;t do 1mm oversized wo changing the seats out. you can do .5mm and that's still jsut fine as far as vales go. I'm only doing .5mm over myself an i'm build a very well build engine.

get the 96-97 Ex manifold (96-97 v-tec) It way outflows the 92-95 models. if you haev the y7 hea dthen use ut. don;t try to opent he ports, jsut slightly smooth some of the rough ness and open the ends to only match the gaskets.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts