Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to start up a D16Y7/Y8 MiniMe build. I'm currently running a D15B8 (95 Hatch) with a DC Sports 4-2-1 header and a Tanabe catback...test pipe in between the two.

Right now my car makes a lot of noise. Even though I've installed sound deadening material it drowns out my stereo, people think I'm trying to race when I'm normally accelerating...and it doesn't help that I always downshift. I haven't bought a catalytic converter to quiet it down yet because I was trying to decide between a turbo build and an N/A build. CARB chose for me.

So, should I be using a 92-95 Si cat or an 96-00 EX cat?

I noticed the EX cat has an O2 bung which I don't need as my DC Sports Header already has one; if the conversion rates (as in SMOG requirements) are the same then it should pass smog...either way I won't be going stock. I plan on getting a Random Technology high flow CARB legal cat. Hell of a better price then Magnaflow.

·
Registered
91 civic Base
49 Posts
from what i understand part of your problem for sound could be the test pipe. I recently was running a glass pack about 8 inches from my tail and it was loud. now have a glass back further up next to cat and put another inch past my bumper. its alot quiter now.

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
random is not cheaper than maganflow. you can get magnaflows cheap. Are you using a resonated or straight test pipe? Try a resonated one. But if you get one get one for the year of your car you dont need one for a 96-00

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gotta build this CARB legal (or at least legal enough to pass smog), so I have to get a CARB legal cat. My straight pipe was absolutely straight, no resonator. I'll be glad to get rid of the damn thing...took me forever to find a friggin gasket that fit it.

So far the magnaflow cat (Part #36636) is listed as a standard cat replacement. If I'm going to have to get a cat it's gotta be high flow to comply with the rest of my exhaust.

Random has a CARB legal high flow cat (see link in my first post), Magnaflow doesn't seem to...IIRC Magnaflow used to have high flow cats for California but stopped carrying them a while back...it's been so long I don't even remember where I got that info from, so take it with a grain of salt. I admit I took one look at the MSRP and got sticker shock, didn't even look for them on the market. They do end up cheaper...but again, I have no idea if it's high flow or not. I'm not taking that chance, for 45 bucks more I can be sure I'm getting the right cat...unless you can point something out I've missed. Either way, thanks for helping bro. :bigok:

·
Well?
10,814 Posts
maganflow is CARB and they all are highflow, i had one on my del sol and we have them on our crown vic. i would run it a highflow cat vs a regular is only gonna be a 1-2hp difference anyway if that but the magnaflows are high flow vs stock

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
just put a rsenator on it and it will be much better. im running a 21/4 with no cat and a apexi n1 muffler and befor imput a resinator on it i couldnt even drive it but after it has a nice deep throaty sound

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've not done anything yet with my Civic, but on my H22 Accord, I had the Magnaflo hi-flo cat with a Greddy Evo cat0back (too loud for my taste) and then the World Sport catback (much quieter). As someone above said, you aren't going to find much gains from a hi-flo. Unless you are trying to eek out eveyr last HP, just go with a stocker and stay well within your CARB requirements.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a D15B8 that will be occupying my car for at least another two months...eek out every last HP is what I do. And MPG. :mrgreen:

Besides, what good would it do to have a 4-2-1 header and 2.25" Tanabe cat back without a high flow cat? I'm guessing with tuning it would be better than a setup with a stock cat.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am liking my Vibrant universal high flow cat. They flow better than OEM units and should remain legal, assuming your engine is operating as it should. They're available in all common tubing sizes, as well as round or oval canisters. They even back their product with a 50,000 mile warranty. Got mine for a little over $100 shipped, but they are cheaper if you don't need fast shipping. A good shop should be able to install it, with flanges and O2 bung, for less than $100.

I am running a 4-2-1 header, cat is 2", as is the rest of my exhaust, into a Magnaflow muffler. Very noisy from 2500-3000, even at 1/4 throttle. Sounds like a bee hive at WOT past 3500. My shop said anything less than a 24" resonator is a waste of money. Most shops use higher quality resonators than the "cherry bomb" you can get at Checker. They last longer and actually eliminate unwanted noise. I've had several exhaust systems built for various vehicles and a good size, quality resonator always does the trick if things are too noisy.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
you could buy my resonated test pipe!:bigok: barely any louder than the stock cat...

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate it bro, but I gotta have a cat for smog testing (Long Beach has smog checkpoints like DUI checkpoints elsewhere. I've got a Magnaflow cat already in the mail, if it doesn't quiet the exhaust down enough I'll swap out mufflers with something stock-ish but high flow...or a twin loop maybe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts