Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 civic hatch
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a m24 auto tranny on my Z6 and was wondering which fluid is preferred and recommended?. Is synthetic the choice or just regular?.. How many quarts should be poured in?. Transmission is rebuilt and has an estimate of 6k miles. At the moment i am using pennzoil multi-vehicle dexron/mercon-(synthetic)-4 quarts.

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
what youre using should be fine

and i think you dont need 4 quarts, i thought it was like 2.8 or something

·
bwah ha ha ha ha
CRX
1,475 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
If you still have it, read your owner's manual. It will tell you exactly how much and what Honda recommends (which will be Honda ATF obviously). You could also find the procedures and amounts in the haynes or helms manuals.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I would dicourage changing the trans fluid all together.As your clutch pacs breakdown they impregnate the ATF with deposits these deposits inturn create added viscosity.When you change your fluid you lose these deposits.Many times as the mileage on the trans increases,people change to a new fluid and experience slipping of the clutch pacs,Ive learned to change the filter & recycle the fluid,sounds crazy/but makes sense.good luck

·
Registered
943 Posts
I would dicourage changing the trans fluid all together.As your clutch pacs breakdown they impregnate the ATF with deposits these deposits inturn create added viscosity.When you change your fluid you lose these deposits.Many times as the mileage on the trans increases,people change to a new fluid and experience slipping of the clutch pacs,Ive learned to change the filter & recycle the fluid,sounds crazy/but makes sense.good luck
You dont want to do that on a honda. If anything changing the atf more often than recommended would be better.

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
for sure . . .

my automatic crapped out not 1,500 miles after I got it. It was my fault for not checking but the guy told me he had the trans fluid changed right before I bought it. Suffice to say I spent $1,000 on a brand new cottman trans and converter. I know I could have spent a lot less converting it to a manual and doing it myself but I was leaving to go on a trip and I had to have it ASAP.

Shady people are the worst.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts