Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have a d15b7, its pretty much standard, I have an induction kit and a muffler. That both dont do very much for the car, apart from give it more response.

I was wondering, what is the first thing I should do to my d15 to improve the performance. I have very little money, so aftermarket stuff is out of the question. I just want to change some things so its not so damn slow! :smile:

Cheers,

Steve

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
$90 for full exhaust OMG!!!

Full exhaust here in the UK is like $400!!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who am I kidding, im skint, looks like I need to do some more freelance work? Anyone want a website? :razz:

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I basically want to make my engine good without spending shed loads on Jun parts etc. I want to use Honda parts from different engines, to strengthen it and make it quicker, also considering to fit a turbo on there later. Basically to sum it up, I wanna make a low budget street racer civic :D

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
take out your AC and PS, advance your timing, weight reduction...
then comes tranny swap, full exhaust, cheap ebay header

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
PooM said:
I basically want to make my engine good without spending shed loads on Jun parts etc. I want to use Honda parts from different engines, to strengthen it and make it quicker, also considering to fit a turbo on there later. Basically to sum it up, I wanna make a low budget street racer civic :D
You haven't money, but you want to stay with honda oem part, go turbo and what else ? Poor little boy, aftermarket make for higher performance part than oem honda, and whatever the way you take to acheive your goal you will spend a lot of money for sure, anotherway to look cool when you open hood or driving, is put a cold air intake :p

The only oem honda part you cam put here is a y8 intake manifold, y8 exhaust manifold (4-2-1) , ECU, higher compression pistons...

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I be spending alot of money, but not nearly as much as I would with aftermarket stuff.

The last part of yer reply Belette is what I wanted to know :D

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
PooM said:
I know I be spending alot of money, but not nearly as much as I would with aftermarket stuff.

The last part of yer reply Belette is what I wanted to know :D
to tell you the truth, if you're on a budget and want to improve PERFORMANCE, the first thing you should upgrade is the tires. with good tires you can launch better, stop better and corner better. it's a lot of performance gain for a few hundred dollars.

·
Registered
141 Posts
im with belette no matter what you do your gonna end up dumping endless amounts of money into that engine, might want to just wait and look into a zc swap or sohc vtec or something but ive had two civics with that d15 and with cold air intake and headers high flow cat, dual dual cannister exaust it still runs 12.2-----in the eighth mile. slowwwwwwww

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
delsolja said:
take out your AC and PS, advance your timing, weight reduction...
then comes tranny swap, full exhaust, cheap ebay header
Those are VERY GOOD suggestions right there, EXCEPT for the ebay header. Header design does matter, you can go cheap with the rest, but at least get a decent proven header. New HP racing headers can be found for like 200 bucks, and used dc's can be found for even cheaper.

If you really wanna get good upgrades for cheap, buy used stuff. Look in the classifieds. Also you can do a headswap. I found my y8 head + IM for 130. The ecu, gaskets, + oil and coolant should come out to 200 or less. So there if you do the swap yourself it should +/- 300 bucks. 20 hp for 300 bucks is a pretty damn good deal. And most likely you'd go with a z6 mini-me, so I think parts should be cheaper. An ex or si tranny helps A LOT and can be found for 50-250 bucks.

Yea you're on a budget, but this is an expensive sport. A few hundred bucks would still be considered very low budget, so I'd suggest you start saving. These mods are still a lot cheaper than buying new aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
i understand what he's talking about, he's in the uk, the $ to £ rate is crazy, and the mark-up on good quality parts over here is just fuckin rediculous, i.e., for all of us that are/want f.i., then you definately need quality turbos, intercoolers, etc.......well, here they want £500 for a SHIIITTTYY fmic, (that's like $1000 with the pound rate now) you know stuff like that, and pretty much what ever you pay for dollar wise in the states, he's gonna pay pound wise here, that's like a 100% mark up, and even if he ordered the parts from staeside, he's still gonna get raped by shipping prices, if they'll ship overseas. so i'm pretty sure that's why he wants to upgrade oem honda parts. junkyards here tend to be a good place to start if you want to do small upgrades to your car.

·
Registered
a city truck
832 Posts
thesqad127 said:
I am talking custom piping + muffler welded to the end ...

why pay $300+ for piping from an aftermarket companies?
find a muffler shop that can do mandrel bends, pay for 2 1/4 inch piping , pay for labor and your in business ! :beer:
there are like 3 place in the uk with a pipe bending machine, everywhere i've been/called take prebent pipes and weld them together for your exhaust, and you can image how much the people charge that actually have the pipe bender, i personally paid £375 ($630 at the time) to have the exhaust done on my rex, (before i sold it) and they still did a shitty job, just ask sleepingrex. he'll tell you

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I heard I can stick the Rover t25 turbo on my car and they use the same manifold, is this true?

The only thing with scrapyards is ya dont know the condition of the turbo.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
tank said:
i understand what he's talking about, he's in the uk, the $ to £ rate is crazy, and the mark-up on good quality parts over here is just fuckin rediculous, i.e., for all of us that are/want f.i., then you definately need quality turbos, intercoolers, etc.......well, here they want £500 for a SHIIITTTYY fmic, (that's like $1000 with the pound rate now) you know stuff like that, and pretty much what ever you pay for dollar wise in the states, he's gonna pay pound wise here, that's like a 100% mark up, and even if he ordered the parts from staeside, he's still gonna get raped by shipping prices, if they'll ship overseas. so i'm pretty sure that's why he wants to upgrade oem honda parts. junkyards here tend to be a good place to start if you want to do small upgrades to your car.
Did you know that if you're willing to wait 4-6 weeks for a package you can ship a 30 pound package for $65.75 through US mail? Yeah, it's still expensive but not ~$300 for express UPS! Make some friends through the boards... gain some trust. You can send them money and they'll buy you what you want locally and mail it to you. The exchange rate is in your favor! Again, you'll have a long wait but you can just drink to pass the time :beer:

sorry to hijack! :mrgreen:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts