Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1999 Honda Civic
5 speed manual
Purchased a password JDM carbon intake and got it in but see no location for the IAT sensor
Where is everyone locating theirs? Or are you drilling a hole in the intake for it?

Thanks

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts
should have been a hole already there next to the breather port. if not, yep, drill it

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I don’t have any lol
Suggestions on how to drill ��������out damaging ?

·
Registered
08 H-D Ultra Classic
998 Posts
Reactions: slo_eg8

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Ive always been sketchy about drilling nice premade carbon fiber resin materials, for fear of splintering things, or just generally f***ing it up haha. If you do go the drill route, post up the results in either case!

Maybe even relocate the IAT to the intake and avoid drilling that nice carbon tube at all?

https://www.xenocron.com/products/i...=2&_sid=79dbcecde&_ss=r&variant=5071506931749

Or pick up another D intake that will work that already has IAT on the manifold?

Just food for thought:)

·
BATSLOMAN GIVES NO FUCKS.
5,289 Posts

Reactions: robgoof

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd choose not to drill if possible, without a way to support the inside of the intake the drill is going to make a nasty mess right in the path of airflow inside your beautiful new intake. I like the silicone couplers that Slo has pics of. I'm sure it would be worth the wait for such a nice intake.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it has one on manifold, it’s the one that actually goes into the intake pipe itself
Also can’t seem to find the plug that hooks to the one on the manifold though too

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
Well it has one on manifold, it’s the one that actually goes into the intake pipe itself
Also can’t seem to find the plug that hooks to the one on the manifold though too
What engine/intake setup do you have? Do you have a swap? What trim model civic? If you did swap, what engine was in the car before?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the setup is in a 1999 Honda Civic LX
5 speed manual
It is swapped to a B18c with skunk2 pro throttle body and manifold and has been chip tuned for setup.
Swap done properly with new civic Si motor harness

Just general setup of the intake pipe seemed odd not to have any ports to hook up sensor and such

Going to look.into options listed above to fix the issue and see if I can find the plug for manifold sensor as well. The skunk 2 stuff just got added also which is why I switched intakes

Also have a stock 1997 lx civic I can reference if needed bone stock d16y7 manual

·
Registered
EG5T
102 Posts
Extend the cables and use the manifold sensor - done.
:3dbiggrin:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a thought too lol
Been hunting around but can’t even find the plug that should be on the intake manifold sensor

·
Registered
93 Civic HB SI
1,697 Posts
The reason I asked about the engine swap details, is because if you have an engine harness that only has the IAT connector protruding from the harness near the intake tubing, then you will not have another random IAT connector just hanging around the intake area. You will only have the one.

If you want to use the IAT at the manifold, the best solution will be to extend the IAT wires over to the sensor in the intake manifold. Once there, you will need to change the IAT sensor connector, as the intake mounted sensor is a different shape than the piping mounted sensor. Source the appropriate connector for the sensor type that is in the manifold and plug it in.

The internals of both sensor designs are the same within the model year realm of all the potential engine/chassis components you've listed, so it should be a plug and play scenario once you get the correct connector.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
make a hole in the intake. do not use a drill. Rather, use a small diameter grind stone, like the el-cheapo offerings from harborfreight or walmart.

I have had bad luck in past using drill bits. While Im sure there are special or simply CERTAIN types recommended, Id rather slowly grind out the hole.

Stop in at a parts store and see about finding a grommet to seal the sensor.

·
Meat Popsicle
91 CRX Si
2,942 Posts
^^That’s a great idea but it might be hard to get a uniform diameter hole w a grinding stone. I suppose a grommet and some silicone would help seal things up so it wouldn’t need to be perfectly circular

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I got one of those dremel kits from harborfreight, it has a variety of sizes.

I would imagine a 1/2 inch hole is about right.

With the use of a grommet, the hole doesnt necessarily NEED precision roundedness(that a word? lol)

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gotcha the grinding idea I didn’t think of. And yes the drilling dry carbon kinda scares me lol I never have good luck so may try that.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The reason I asked about the engine swap details, is because if you have an engine harness that only has the IAT connector protruding from the harness near the intake tubing, then you will not have another random IAT connector just hanging around the intake area. You will only have the one.

If you want to use the IAT at the manifold, the best solution will be to extend the IAT wires over to the sensor in the intake manifold. Once there, you will need to change the IAT sensor connector, as the intake mounted sensor is a different shape than the piping mounted sensor. Source the appropriate connector for the sensor type that is in the manifold and plug it in.

The internals of both sensor designs are the same within the model year realm of all the potential engine/chassis components you've listed, so it should be a plug and play scenario once you get the correct connector.
When swapping the connectors to do so, I will need to figure out which wires attach to each other. Or will colors of wiring be same on both plugs?
Also you are right I just discovered a second plug for an IAT right at manifold running off injectors. As well as current one for intake pipe.
Assume both need connected to work correctly despite being chipped obd1 now. (Jumper harness to obd1 ecu)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts