Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just replaced my VTEC solenoid gasket on my Y8 a couple days ago, and now the upper VTEC solenoid gasket is leaking. I went to Honda stealership today and they said that gasket is not carried, and the tech said "it's not serviceable".

I don't understand how it wouldn't be serviceable... It's a gasket, and it degrades and leaks like gaskets do... Not to mention it's only under three damned bolts.

I did some googling, and I found that there is plenty of B series upper solenoid gaskets, but none for D series. What's funny is that they look nearly the same.

Are they interchangeable? If they're not, where can I find one for my D16Y8?
Take this eBay post for instance. It mentions that the part can be used on a Z6, and B series engines, but not the Y8. I can't find nothing on the Y8!

Please help so I can park on my driveway lol.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
I honestly dont know what the upper gasket is, as Ive never taken apart a solenoid.

In the diagram ryan89crx posted, its not the (#11)Filter Assy, Spool Valve, is it?

Otherwise, I think I have a Y8 VTEC solenoid, and no Y8 head to put it on... LOL.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I honestly dont know what the upper gasket is, as Ive never taken apart a solenoid.

In the diagram ryan89crx posted, its not the (#11)Filter Assy, Spool Valve, is it?

Otherwise, I think I have a Y8 VTEC solenoid, and no Y8 head to put it on... LOL.
There is a link to the eBay posting, it is a hyperlink so it's mistakable. It shows a picture of what it looks like almost exactly, and I have a picture I took as well, before I stuck it back on regardless of the leak.

I already replaced the one ryan89crx specified, which just made the one I need to now replace, leak. lol

·
Registered
93 integra ls b18c
2,633 Posts
i do but dont really know what the part number is, but pretty sure honda bond would do the trick or something like that, really dont think oil flows threw there as i believe your are talking about where the solenoid mounts to the mechanical part of the vtec mechanism

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The one that says O-Ring Replace. That one. ;)
I heard that they're the same for both B and D series, and Y8's and Z6's. Anyone know if that is true?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
According to Hondapartsnow, it cross-references with OBD1 SOHC VTEC motors

36172-P08-015 - Honda GASKET, SOLENOID BASE
Yeah, I saw that after using the site from your previous post, and the part number from eBay. But the Y8 ODB2 engine is not on their compatibility list. Which is why I'm still in my predicament.

Thanks for the info, but does anyone know if that part will fit OBD2 Y8 solenoid?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, went to Honda today with the part number 36172-P08-015 and on their computer it said it does fit the Y8 solenoid so I purchased it, and it fit perfect. No more leaks. So this thread is one for the archives for those who were in my predicament.

Thanks everyone!
/thread

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The link I gave you said it fits Civic 2d 96-00, I guess I'm lost as to why you still weren't sure.

Glad to see that you fixed the problem though :TU:
Because when you click that 2dr model option from that link, it says it's for the Si, which is B series. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts