Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Friends,
My name is Sayeed from Guyana South America. I own a Right hand drive 2001 Honda Civic Ferio ES1 model from Japan. I recently swapped out my steering rack from EPS to Hydraulic. Had alot of bad days with electric changed two rack all failing years apart. The electronics and brain box goes as well. Too much cost to keep importing from England because of right hand driven also lots of knocking even after servicing rack noise comes back mths later. So I have the hydraulic model installed runs pretty good except when maneuvering to park or come out of parking the rpm drops low and even stalling engine because the power steering pressure switch not connected. Tried to follow links from online like for the Green /Black wire going on E plug pin 16 and black ground wire i tried A plug pin24, no success. Can anyone say where the two wires goes for the switch. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Premium Member
2,034 Posts
Are you still on the stock ECU? If the car originally had EPS then it’s likely the ECU would not have provisions for hydraulic steering. A quick google search shows that pin 16 (green/black) should be correct, but I’m not 100% sure if you should be using logic ground or power ground (probably doesn’t really matter) but you could always try to ground the black wire right to the chassis and see if that works. If it doesn’t then explore the different ECU options that are available (i.e. find an ECU that comes from a PS equipped car). Good luck and make sure you post the solution if you ever find one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello friend. Thanks for the reply. Its getting clearer that running eps before that might be the case. Yes on stock ecu. I even tried same thing black wire to ground same low rpm when taking all lock. I even tried the reverse like what the youtube video shows for converting from hydraulic to eps. Thats connection Eplug pin16 and Eplug 26 NEP engine rpm. Indeed i have to research a civic from Malaysia that comes with Hydraulic steering those civic are right hand driven. Aslong i get info will update the page. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you still on the stock ECU? If the car originally had EPS then it’s likely the ECU would not have provisions for hydraulic steering. A quick google search shows that pin 16 (green/black) should be correct, but I’m not 100% sure if you should be using logic ground or power ground (probably doesn’t really matter) but you could always try to ground the black wire right to the chassis and see if that works. If it doesn’t then explore the different ECU options that are available (i.e. find an ECU that comes from a PS equipped car). Good luck and make sure you post the solution if you ever find one.
[/QU
OTE]
Hello Friend,
Did some research found these data. See in pictures. Light green/black plug pin 16 and black wire going to g201. Well i have to find g201. Let me know what you think. Thanks

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
What actually failed on the EPS rack? the electric motors that honda used are very good quality, but the electrical connectors liked to get dirty and loose power to motor.

Bench test the old rack motors with jumper cables carefully.

As for hydraulic pwoer steering, best fix is to cause a high idle. This can be managed with a vacuum line T'd and run a vacuum line to the car cabin, have a plug for it. When you want higher idle, simpyl remove the plug during parking manuevers and get higher idle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What actually failed on the EPS rack? the electric motors that honda used are very good quality, but the electrical connectors liked to get dirty and loose power to motor.

Bench test the old rack motors with jumper cables carefully.

As for hydraulic pwoer steering, best fix is to cause a high idle. This can be managed with a vacuum line T'd and run a vacuum line to the car cabin, have a plug for it. When you want higher idle, simpyl remove the plug during parking manuevers and get higher idle.

Hello Friend,
Thanks for the info will check that out. I have a video with what was happening to my civic. Its a video from youtube. Not just one steering rack but two. Over a few yrs apart.. i have 3 eps rack. Well gone hydraulic. Link for problem

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Module is bad. Motor seems fine.

·
Registered
9,978 Posts
Center of dash, bottom. Sort of where passsenger has their foot nearest center.

Read up on a few of these when I was going to put the civic hybrid rack steering into my 2001 civic to get rid of my hydraulic steering.

BUT, your hydraulic setup is easier to fix and get working. You basically create a vacuum leak in order to let the steering get easier. OR you can simply throttle the car a bit more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Center of dash, bottom. Sort of where passsenger has their foot nearest center.

Read up on a few of these when I was going to put the civic hybrid rack steering into my 2001 civic to get rid of my hydraulic steering.

BUT, your hydraulic setup is easier to fix and get working. You basically create a vacuum leak in order to let the steering get easier. OR you can simply throttle the car a bit more.
Hey friend,
I replaced the brain box for the eps too found under the glove box. Tried a friend one two from his working car. Same spinning thats something electric gone tried different wireloom for it too. I had my share of worries with eps 😁. I have to do more to get the hydraulic sorted with your ideas. I really wanted to get a link up with the folks in Malaysia where the rack came from the hydraulic one. Trying to get the ecu non vtec from a civic thay runs same. Unable so far i contacted alot just promises and restrictions to ship out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.