Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey DSO community,

The car is a 97 Civic Coupe. I'm having a little problem with water splashing up onto the bottom of my hood and into my engine bay. There isn't any standing water puddling up or anything (at least that I can see) but there are water marks on my valve cover. I will wipe them off and the next time I pop the hood they are back.

It's not coolant, definitely water, from rain, puddles maybe. I have my inner fender liners in place on both sides. And I went to the junk yard and got a new front-lower splash guard. So all of that is in place.

The only thing I can think of is that I did an AC delete to prepare for the turbo install, so there is only the half radiator in place. I'm wondering if anyone else with a half radiator has this problem. I think while driving any rain would be free to enter the bay from the grill and opening in the bumper while driving. Then hit the alternator belt (only belt on my car, deleted PS as well) and splash all over.

I want to get this solved before I put my new intake, afpr, turbo, etc on the car. Cause I don't want it to get rusted prematurely.

If that is where it is coming in, does anybody have any solutions?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,831 Posts
Check this one out here #8

Honda Automotive Parts

EDIT: Also check the hood seal to the radiator support and it has been a while but do these civics have the "side" inner liners the allow you to access the engine bay from the wheel well. Those being missing can cause it too.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Aha! I knew there must be something for the non-ac equipped vehicles to block off the space next to the half-rad.

Thanks for the link!

In light of that, I ghetto rigged my own little block off plate to see if it will make a difference. I just used some scraps of wood and metal in the junk bin and that should be good enough for a test.

I will post my results after we get a rainy day here, for anyone who may be experiencing the same issue.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only rained once since doing this, and it wasn't a whole lot of rain, but so far this seems to be working. After we get a couple downpours I'll update again.

Once I put the turbo in I will probably find a way to make a plate like this that allows flow trough the FMIC, but blocks any air that would enter above it onto the turbo/manifold.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah and don't use wood especially when you put the turbo in there.
Hahaha, of course. I just used that piece of masonite because it was fast and easy for doing a proof of concept. I have some scrap sheet metal around that should do the trick for a long term solution :biggrin:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts