Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know where is the limit on a turbo setup before putting many thousand in mechanics ?

I'm building another y7 engine right now.

Looks like:
- LS rods machined & bushed
- Vitara pistons
- ARP head studs
- New OEM bearing and OEM gaskets
- Stock sleeves, stock LS rod bolt, and everything else is stock.

- Delta 272, y8 manifold, 60mm TB, hondata intake gasket, 255 walbro fuel pump.
- Stage 2 clutch, stock y8 tranny and flywheel, stock drive shafts.

Everything will run on T25 turbo intercooled, with good engine management (bigger injectors) and tuning in time. But I'm talking about mechanics only.

How much torque and HP will my setup handle to be safe, reliable and the much as possible for funny daily driving and sometime at track ?? Do I need something else need to be strenghtened ? 200whp, more ? less ? near 10 psi of boost (not a reference but a measurement for t25 turbo pressure setting :p ) ?

Thank you

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
If i was you i would also look into ARP rod bolts and getting the LS rods shot peened... or just going with some Tuner Toyz or Eagle rods. Either way im sure you should be set up to around 250-275whp, more if you went with the forged rods. But you will max your turbo out before you hit those numbers.

Might as well just spend the little extra money and do it good the first time around and not have to worry about doing it again and costing yourself even more.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
sohc_sol said:
If i was you i would also look into ARP rod bolts and getting the LS rods shot peened... or just going with some Tuner Toyz or Eagle rods. Either way im sure you should be set up to around 250-275whp, more if you went with the forged rods. But you will max your turbo out before you hit those numbers.

Might as well just spend the little extra money and do it good the first time around and not have to worry about doing it again and costing yourself even more.
X2

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, but I already have everything !!! I don'T want a 10 second car, only fun daily driving car...

I've seen someone who made 310whp with [email protected] that's a lot !

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
26 psi on at25 gas to be way past its limit....
if you have everything you can alwasy sell.. isnt there maching etc that needs to be done to the ls rods to get them to fit etc..??
its more work than what they are worth with tunertoys selling rods for 225

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jimmyb34 said:
26 psi on at25 gas to be way past its limit....
if you have everything you can alwasy sell.. isnt there maching etc that needs to be done to the ls rods to get them to fit etc..??
its more work than what they are worth with tunertoys selling rods for 225
REad before, my LS rods are already machined and bushed to fit in a D. They cost to me 40$, machining 0 (I'm machinist.) I won't sell them :p

No need to handle that much, I run on stock sleeves and no LSD in forecast...

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
Belette said:
No need to handle that much, I run on stock sleeves and no LSD in forecast...
You say that now but i would be willing to bet money that you will want more power down the road and you will regret not spending the extra couple hundred bucks now. As far as the stock sleeves go, thats not really a worry as long as you are running a good tune. stock sleeves have held almost 500whp at over 30psi and even making only 250whp an lsd would be a really good investment. Look into the the OBX LSD, they are proven to work and i know people that are running them and have had no problems at all.

just my $.02.

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jimmyb34 said:
i dont see anywhere in here where you mentioned that was done.... my bad still i guess? lol
Mentionned at the thread start :) first thing listed is LS rods machined and bushed. :)

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
sohc_sol said:
You say that now but i would be willing to bet money that you will want more power down the road and you will regret not spending the extra couple hundred bucks now. As far as the stock sleeves go, thats not really a worry as long as you are running a good tune. stock sleeves have held almost 500whp at over 30psi and even making only 250whp an lsd would be a really good investment. Look into the the OBX LSD, they are proven to work and i know people that are running them and have had no problems at all.

just my $.02.
I've seen many B handling more than 280whp with Stock rods... Including LS rods. No LSD in forcast because I don't think I'll hit 250whp. If I reach 200-220whp with not to far torque, I'll be more than happy. I just bought and rebuilt my new y8 tranny, I run it everyday, I don't want to spend more on it, and take it back out of engine bay for now.

I'll check for OBX LSD talk about maybe later, before I will run this setup @ 6-7 psi to learn more and get knowledge about turbos to reach higher level, I don't need LSD for this power level, If I hit 150-160whp, it should be nice.

You mentionned before that I should buit a set of arp rod bolt ? does LS ones are so weak ? If I remember they are the same as D series. It should be a good investment for cheap ?

Thank you :)

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
Bizzar said:
Cheap, fast, reliable...you may only pick 2
if he didn't say it, I was going to :p

·
Curious George
'99 LX Civic Sedan
3,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LOL. You can built something fast and reliable for affordable price. Is this the limit I want to reach :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts