Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 EX coupe
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last 2 months, mysteriously coolant has been disappearing from the radiator. New cap, all lines are good, and the car has been running fine (of course just losing coolant). There is an oil leak that is spraying oil by the distributor and exhaust manifold, that while showing up at the same time as the disappearing coolant, I believe to be unrelated, as nothing is stealing my oil. I have to top things off as far as the radiator and overflow tank about once every 2-3 weeks, so it isn't a quick disappearing act, but I would like to get the problem figured out before it starts to warm up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
umm buringing it perhaps...leaking in from a bad head gasket...other than that...some one is STEALNG IT!!!
LOL

I say you have a small leak some where. Check all the hoses and check the rad for small cracks. And it could also be your head gasket leaking inbetween cyl's, Does the car over heat at all? But yea if you cant find any thing wrong then like stated above someone is stealing it. Do you happen to have a tuning mouse that lives in your car? If so thats there drink of choice has the same effect on them as beer does to us.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
my tuning mouse is drinking mine at the same rate, refill every 2-3 weeks. i need to send him to rehab :)

·
Registered
88 CRX
1,846 Posts
Over the last 2 months, mysteriously coolant has been disappearing from the radiator. New cap, all lines are good, and the car has been running fine (of course just losing coolant). There is an oil leak that is spraying oil by the distributor and exhaust manifold, that while showing up at the same time as the disappearing coolant, I believe to be unrelated, as nothing is stealing my oil. I have to top things off as far as the radiator and overflow tank about once every 2-3 weeks, so it isn't a quick disappearing act, but I would like to get the problem figured out before it starts to warm up.
I hate to be the guy who suggests the perhaps too obvious solution, but are you sure you're not overfilling it? How low is the coolant level after 3 weeks? If it's overfilled it will boil/leak out the overflow tank. Does the car actually get too hot? Does your radiator fan work properly?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
I hate to be the guy who suggests the perhaps too obvious solution, but are you sure you're not overfilling it? How low is the coolant level after 3 weeks? If it's overfilled it will boil/leak out the overflow tank. Does the car actually get too hot? Does your radiator fan work properly?
after 2-3 weeks the reservior is empty and the rad is gettting low. the car begins to try to overheat, but i pull off and add fluid to it.

i dont know if i still have this problem as i just did a flush and replaced the thermostat. Yestarday i noticed the reservoir was close to empty and that the foam pad in front of the radiator was soaked in coolant. there was also coolant on the underside of the hood and around the bar in front of the rad. I plan on getting a new radiator cap as the one i have know is almost 9 years old :(, not bad though it lasted a long time, and sorry to post hijack

·
Registered
97 GSX-R 750
1,548 Posts
Change the oil. Look to see if the old oil is a milky color. If it is it's because it's full of coolant, don't ask how I know this... I miss that motorcycle.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Over the last 2 months, mysteriously coolant has been disappearing from the radiator. New cap, all lines are good, and the car has been running fine (of course just losing coolant).

There is an oil leak that is spraying oil by the distributor and exhaust manifold, that while showing up at the same time as the disappearing coolant, I believe to be unrelated, as nothing is stealing my oil.

Here is what I got out of that.. Your oil is leaking but nothing is stealing oil.

If your oil is leaking out yet your oil level doesn't go down that is because the oil that is leaking out is being replaced with coolant.

·
Registered
94 EX coupe
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There is no evidence of a leak underhood as far as the coolant is concerned. The radiator is less than a year old, and after a thorough visual inspection with the car running, there is no evidence of a leak. Last oil change (less than a month ago) the oil just looked old and dirty (8K mile on Mobil 1). No white smoke from the tailpipe, no coolant smell, nothing that leads me to believe a blown headgasket, but at the same time that is the only thing that has made sense to me.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
If you have an oil leak, yet no oil is dissappearing, then how do you have an oil leak? I had a small coolant leak that someone thought was oil once, are you sure that leak isn't coolant?

Have you seen oil with coolant in it? Is there never coolant anywhere underhood, including ON the hood? If rad cap isn't on all the way or is bad, it will spew coolant out underhood instead of letting it go to the overflow.

Can't you add some kind of UV shit that shows up under blacklight...? I don't know, thats just a random thought, but if so, a blacklight would clear this all up...

·
I wanna be just like Jimmy!!
3,148 Posts
hi liter ink!

provided thatcoolant isn't UV reactive already..

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you have an oil leak, yet no oil is dissappearing, then how do you have an oil leak? I had a small coolant leak that someone thought was oil once, are you sure that leak isn't coolant?

Have you seen oil with coolant in it? Is there never coolant anywhere underhood, including ON the hood? If rad cap isn't on all the way or is bad, it will spew coolant out underhood instead of letting it go to the overflow.

Can't you add some kind of UV shit that shows up under blacklight...? I don't know, thats just a random thought, but if so, a blacklight would clear this all up...
um ya, cause coolant after it gets hot and sits on the motor goes black eh! so it could LOOK like oil, but its probably not!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts