Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a complete z6 from a friend for $75. He said it knocked but he only drove it a few miles from where it started to his house where he parked it until he put a new motor in. I pulled the pan off and the number 1 rod bearing is definitely bad. Someone told me when a rod bearing goes, you're supposed to have the crank turned. Is there anything I can look for to tell if it needs that? Or from experience, can anyone say if that's true or not? I'd like to just replace the bearings and rings and maybe pistons since this is just my daily driver and I don't really need to invest alot of money trying to make power with it when I have another car that already does that.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
take it to a machine shop and have them look at it just to be on the safe side. I had mine balanced and polished while they were at it.

·
Registered
Honda
2,692 Posts
dont necessarily need to turn it, unless it did surface dmamge or made it out of balance. i would say it probably needs polished at least....and maybe turned.

but definately have it checked out.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The only way to truly tell if it needs turned or not would be to measure it with a dial caliper/indicator. After finding the factory specs of course.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is funny. I am the king of this scenerio. Take it to a machine shop. Make sure they know it knocked and they should see if it was a rod bearing. Also have them closely inspect the mains. I got a block and crank from a guy for cheap and it was no good. After I did the build I had no oil pressure and spun a main before I knew what was wrong. If it is just a rod bearing youre in luck it much less work to fix just the crank. It cost me 100 bucks to have the crank turned. Good luck

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright I'll definitely take everyones advice on this since its my first atempt at rebuilding a motor. I'm certain the knock is from a rodbearing since I took the pan off and wiggled the rod and it moves freely on the crank on cylinder 1, so I'm pretty certain that was the knock he was talking about. So how do most of you go about starting a build and having everything checked out. Do you disassemble the motor and label every part, then take it all to a machine shop?

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
You got the right idea. I keep parts in a labled zip lock baggy. Keep the rods labled with a punch for corresponding cylinders. Valves w/ valve springs ect.
I picked up an engine that had number 3 rod knock. What you might run into is the rod being out of round and might have to have the rod replaced. In that case I had my crank .010-.010. HTH

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ive only done one build so far but I had to build it three times due to not using a machine shop the first time. Its a long story. As for the way I did it the last time that worked... yes I took the machine shop my,

block
new pistons & rings
new rods
new crank
new bearings
head
new valve seals
new oil pump
and the nessesary gaskets

I paid the machinist to assemble the bottom end and do the valve seals. I got it all back from him and assembled the rest myself. Hope this helps. Once again im not a veteran builder so its all I know.

I am also about to build a SOHC VTEC

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Someone told me when a rod bearing goes, you're supposed to have the crank turned.
In that case I had my crank .010-.010. HTH
you should never turn a Honda crankshaft*. once you go down about .010 you will be past the nitrite treating that Honda does. the crank will be weaker then a stock one.

*unless you have access to a method of nitrite treating the crankshaft after you turn it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine wasnt a honda one. I have the Lightweight Eagle Crank.

·
Registered
Civic
882 Posts
you should never turn a Honda crankshaft*. once you go down about .010 you will be past the nitrite treating that Honda does. the crank will be weaker then a stock one.
So honda made cranks so they could never be turned only thrown away?
The stock honda crank isnt very weak by far. I had it .010-.010 to take care of the scars on the journal. Is there another method for this?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a few motors laying around that I could steal the crank out of if this one ends up being bad, I have an a6 that also had a bad rod bearing on one cylinder and a d15b8 that doesnt knock at all, so the d15 crank should be fine, but I dunno how good that crank would be for a z6?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts