Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Honda Civic EX
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just out of curiosity, when you guys have added air flow (NA) through either a cam or perhaps a better flowing head/manifold.... did you find yourself advancing or retarding the timing to get more power on these motors?

I dynoed my ported intake manifold + TB today, and it -sounded- like it needed more timing (its set at stock right now), and I'm going to go out and advance it tomorrow, but I was just curious if any of you guys could offer up experiences with this, just in case what I really am hearing is that it needs less timing.

I'm guessing more, since it'd give the motor more time to compress and otherwise utilize the increase in air.

Nathan

·
D-series Strom Trooper
1,085 Posts
You advance the timing. But you always have to watch by how much. because if you advance to much you could lose power. Thats why on Cam gears the have increments to follow. If you do it threw the Dis. which i feel cam gears are a better way to go. Then you have to follow it with a Timing light. probally like +2 increment would be a good advancement without sacrificing power.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I made more power on dyno NA and FI by retarding the cam 2-4 degrees :)

·
Registered
1993 Civic Ex Coupe
793 Posts
Ok...would retarding the ignition timing @ the distributor by 2-4 degrees help?
I don't have an adjustable cam gear.
I'm looking for low end & midrange power for AUtoX

·
Registered
1988 Civic Hatch
652 Posts
get and adjustable cam gear, then if you arent going to need top end power at all, retard cam by like 3 degrees. im lookin for top end so imma have to get one and advance it like 3 deg's

·
Registered
same^^^
678 Posts
4speedpride said:
get and adjustable cam gear, then if you arent going to need top end power at all, retard cam by like 3 degrees. im lookin for top end so imma have to get one and advance it like 3 deg's
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe you've got it backwards. Retarding the cam gear will typically make more power higher, while advancing it will typically boost the midrange.
also I guess it depends on which cam you have, and where it's indexed.
-josh-

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
AMkrew_1 said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe you've got it backwards. Retarding the cam gear will typically make more power higher, while advancing it will typically boost the midrange.
also I guess it depends on which cam you have, and where it's indexed.
-josh-
Exactly right!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts