Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m in the process of ordering a new wheel bearing and hub assembly along with a ball joint for the front driver’s side but I’m wondering if there is a seal that goes in between the rear of the hub and where the CV axle slides in? I can’t find one on RockAuto nor OEM parts.

car is a '99 EX 4-Door with ABS

Thanks,

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really...? interesting.

alright thanks for the help, this is kind of what i was starting to think.
even though my Subaru has a sealed bearing in the front, it still has a dust seal, that's where i was thinking about the similarities

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I know the older cars used dust seals but the newer ones all seem to get away from that. There is a dust deflector on the end of the CV shaft (or at least there should be) that will deflector 99.9% of shit away.

·
Registered
EG8
1,055 Posts
If Beer is talking about the little metal ring on the backside of the hub, yes. That year has it.

But it's usually uncommon to find on cars that have been worked on... I barely see them because they were likely lost.

·
Registered
Honda Civic?
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, yeah i was thinking there should be some sort of actual seal similiar to what is on the transmission side that the CV axle shaft with the C-clip goes through since that's an oil seal.

i guess if it's a sealed bearing, there's no need but i would imagine water intrusion would F the bearing up pretty quickly.

·
Registered
ej8
6,365 Posts
Thanks guys, yeah i was thinking there should be some sort of actual seal similiar to what is on the transmission side that the CV axle shaft with the C-clip goes through since that's an oil seal.

i guess if it's a sealed bearing, there's no need but i would imagine water intrusion would F the bearing up pretty quickly.
Yea the bearings are kinda seal and have very thick gease which should help keep water out.

Make sure you have a 20ton press when you do this job.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
The is a extra rubber seal on the end of the axle, but the bearing is sealed so it doesn't really do much

1 - 10 of 10 Posts