Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I recently came to the realization that my d16z6 may not be salvageable. For reference, I had built a high compression all-motor d16z6 that was making 158whp on a Mustang Dyno. For those who know, Mustangs are know to read conservatively. Needless to say, I loved this motor.

I was at the track a couple of weekends ago and I'm certain I dropped a valve. In what little spare time I've had, I've begun the painful process of disassembling the motor. Shards of metal on the back of the throttle body butterfly and oil suggest that I dropped an intake valve.

I've had a spare 3-stage VTEC d15b motor sitting in the garage for the last couple of years. I bought it when I spun a bearing in my then stock z6 (again at the track). I instead decided to rebuild the z6. I'm considering all options at this point including transferring what I can to the d15 from my blown z6, partially because I have many great parts that can potentially be reused.

I have a spare z6 head that I will transfer the Rocket Motorsports stage-4 camshaft, valves and Ti retainers to. It just isn't ported and polished like current - and likely destroyed - one. I WILL be getting aftermarket valves if I use this.

I know there are probably many threads about this exact question and that "search is my friend", but with limited time being a factor I'd like answers like I liked my ex-girlfriends: fast and easy. That doesn't mean I won't be researching! It just means I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks again for your help EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a D15b bottom end then you can do a mini me with the Z6 head.
Hey BeerDrinkin.

Thanks for the quick reply as usual. Does the mini-me swap apply in this case as well? The d15b I have is the OBD2 3-stage VTEC version.

Thanks.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The head that is on there doesn't matter as much as the one you are going to put on it. The deck height is different from D15 = 207mm and D16 = 212mm.
Great.

It's partially disassembled and been sitting on a stand. Pretty much everything except the head is off, including the distributor. I think I have all that in a bin somewhere hides away in the garage. If I can remember correctly, I don't think that they use the same distributor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts