Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what limit's the rev's of the Z6 really?

Is it the springs? The valve's or something else?

I'm going on a drag day to a 1.6 mile straight. I don't know if i should attempt a top speed run, and more importantly i don't know what i should rev to. I'm currently at 7200. (stock)

Does anybody know the top speed at this RPM's on the standard Z6 box with 205 50 15's?

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe stock rev limit on a true z6 is 7250..........i think the weakest link is the valves themselves......
Dam, that's not what i wanted to here. I have a built bottom end, but don't want to drop a valve. As it's got a standard not even rebuilt top end and has done lot's of miles.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I can remember the car would fall on it's face about 7500rpm.

But yes the springs are the weak point.

1.6 miles at full throttle, good luck. Make sure you show us the carnage. BTW how many miles on this engine? Hope your NA.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can remember the car would fall on it's face about 7500rpm.

But yes the springs are the weak point.

1.6 miles at full throttle, good luck. Make sure you show us the carnage. BTW how many miles on this engine? Hope your NA.
1.6 miles is including the breaking zone, so it's more like 1.2, obviously you don't have to use it all though.

I'l be on the limiter WELL before 1.6 miles. I bet my first evo did 1mile plus at full throttle, to get to the limiter.

What EGT's AIT etc would you recommend to lift off at?

·
Registered
867 Posts
If you monitor EGT and AIT I would think your in a elite group. Most of us just do WOT for a short time, like a 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you monitor EGT and AIT I would think your in a elite group. Most of us just do WOT for a short time, like a 1/4 mile.
I don't know what you mean by elite group?

But after say 1/4 of a mile my EGT's are probably 750c after say 1/2 probably longest i've done WOT it got to around 775c, so thing's don't get much hotter, it's just the amount of time the component's are at such stress i suppose.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
The stock engine will start losing hp @ 7250 according to my dyno sheet. The springs are the weakness link cuz at the higher rpms they'll tend to float.

Elite group cuz not alot of turbo'd folks run and EGT probe and gauge. Normal operation temps around 1200 to 1400, right? Well then @ 1800 I'd start to slowwwwwww...

·
Banned
598 Posts
oem valves are made of inconel to the best of my knowledge
(besides the d16b6 stainless valves in the natural gas gx)
inconel is good ish

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
are we talking about internals only because if not id say injectors, rods, i havent seen too amny problems with valvestem seals.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The stock engine will start losing hp @ 7250 according to my dyno sheet. The springs are the weakness link cuz at the higher rpms they'll tend to float.

Elite group cuz not alot of turbo'd folks run and EGT probe and gauge. Normal operation temps around 1200 to 1400, right? Well then @ 1800 I'd start to slowwwwwww...
I don't mind the power dropping off, i just don't want to drop a valve or break something.

But the power dropping off could be down to alsort's of other factors.

1800 is pretty hot, i was going to shut off at 800 latest.

I know i can run from standing till half way through 5th before i get over 750 or something so i should be good to go to the limiter in top gear. I'm just not sure how high to set the limiter.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I don't mind the power dropping off, i just don't want to drop a valve or break something.

But the power dropping off could be down to alsort's of other factors.

1800 is pretty hot, i was going to shut off at 800 latest.

I know i can run from standing till half way through 5th before i get over 750 or something so i should be good to go to the limiter in top gear. I'm just not sure how high to set the limiter.
i think you guys are on different scales. ive read that at 1500F is when things start to melt.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts