Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking at a new set of speakers for the front of my civic....whats the best brand out there for the money?

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
Actually the alpine components have a better frequency response than the phoenix golds. Also the woofer material on the Aplines is better because its a pulp as opposed to a hard plastic, the stiffness in the cone is why it has a smaller frequency response range. You will get a broader range from the Alpine components ... the Phoenix Golds have a little bit more (20Hz) in the low range ... but I think the extra (7000 Hz) on the high end from the alpines would be more useful. Also the Alpines can handle a lot more power than the pheonix golds and thus will not distort quite as easily. I can run my Type Rs at full volume with no distortion even from the tweeters (which are usually the first thing to distort). The Alpines are a little more expensive but with stereo equipment you do generally get what you pay for. Honestly I've never listened to the pheonix golds, they probably sound fine, but from looking at them this is what I was able to find out about them in relation to the Alpines.

-edit: I'm comparing the high end pheonix golds to the alpine type Rs, they are the pheonix gold TX series I think.

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
Actually the alpine components have a better frequency response than the phoenix golds. Also the woofer material on the Aplines is better because its a pulp as opposed to a hard plastic, the stiffness in the cone is why it has a smaller frequency response range. You will get a broader range from the Alpine components ... the Phoenix Golds have a little bit more (20Hz) in the low range ... but I think the extra (7000 Hz) on the high end from the alpines would be more useful. Also the Alpines can handle a lot more power than the pheonix golds and thus will not distort quite as easily. I can run my Type Rs at full volume with no distortion even from the tweeters (which are usually the first thing to distort). The Alpines are a little more expensive but with stereo equipment you do generally get what you pay for. Honestly I've never listened to the pheonix golds, they probably sound fine, but from looking at them this is what I was able to find out about them in relation to the Alpines.

-edit: I'm comparing the high end pheonix golds to the alpine type Rs, they are the pheonix gold TX series I think.
awesome comparison :TU:

·
Registered
468 Posts
Alpine, like many have already listed or infinity. I've had Infinity 6012s, 6022s, 9602s and 9613s and I've loved them. since I'm not doing competition, I just want clear sound at a listenable volume, I haven't had a single complaint with them. There subs are good too.

·
Premium Member
96,97,00 civic
2,149 Posts
What chucksta said.

I would go with infinitys in the front and polks in the back. I had the infinity's in my hatch,4.5" mind you, and everyone thought I had 6x9's in the back too. They are nice

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im just looking at replacing door speakers in the front, becasue the drivers is blown and i can hear the pass. side scratching and startign to go as well

·
Registered
111 Posts
Polk comps---you will like.

I am a Polk lover-so i am biased-
I believe they make a good, long pasting product. My monitor7c home speakers rock,-still to this day. I bought them in 1986

·
Premium Member
2005 Legacy GT
1,754 Posts
I suppose another question would be ... are you looking for coaxials or components. Standard coax speakers will be much easier to put in, since they are just plug and play. Components tend to be made of higher quality material and they have the external crossover so you will get better sound quality from them, but they do take a little more work to put in. The other thing to take into consideration is the depth of the speaker. When I did my system I had to cut the stock speaker cage down to a plastic ring with screw holes to get my speakers to fit properly.

Do you already have aftermarket speakers in there, or are you upgrading from stock at this point? If you are upgrading from stock ... pretty much anything you get will sound better (at least judging from the POS stock speakers that were in my car).

·
Registered
95 coupe
133 Posts
i have alpine type r's all around, powered by an alpine 4 channel amp, cant go wrong with alpine ;)

·
Premium Member
civic coupe
7,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am looking for a speaker to give a clean crisp sound on a stock audio system...audio is something ive never really got into before...the front speakers were stock (at least from first glanse they look orginal)

hell i think wal mart sells pioneer speakers

·
Registered
468 Posts
wal mart sells a low end pioneer, for stock replacement with no amp on the radio, they would do fine. If your looking to go a little clearer, honestly for the price, the infinity reference series, the alpine type e or type s series or a low end polk. Even on a head unit's standard output of 22 or 25W per channel, you can hear a difference over OEM components.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts