·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Right now i shift at 2k every gear.

Tranzex told me i should do 3200K

Anybody know anything?

should i skip gears or rev every gear to a certain rpm?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'd listen to Bone (transzex) He knows his MPG's. LoL.

I'd hate to be behind you merging on the highway... :wacko:

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
accelerate as slow and steady as possible. 2.5-3k should be a good spot. you just dont want to bog down the car, then it will take more fuel to accelerate in a lower gear instead of just giving the engine a break and running it in a more efficient power range

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dammnnn...I didn't know it was a whole science behind this= ]

should i skip gears or rev every gear to a certain rpm?

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
just be as easy on the engine as possible and once u feel like you can go to the next gear without bogging it, shift.

remember, the injectors spray fuel per RPM, so the higher the RPM, the more times the injector will squirt. at light load, the injectors squirt less fuel, but more frequently (if the rpm is higher). there is a fine line, where you will squirt more fuel, but with less frequency, and you will use less fuel overall.

make sense?

·
Registered
ej2
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nope!

but,= ]

i understood i have to find the point were i can shift low enough without bogging out..

this will use less fuel and be more efficient?

shifting at 3.2K 1st,2nd,and 3rd..then str8 to 5th seems like its killing my mpg...

·
Premium Member
Red '95 EX
1,066 Posts
wow....i cant believe i had it all wrong. this completely changes my shifting habits.

·
Administrator
93 cx hatch
16,376 Posts
nope!

but,= ]

i understood i have to find the point were i can shift low enough without bogging out..

this will use less fuel and be more efficient?

shifting at 3.2K 1st,2nd,and 3rd..then str8 to 5th seems like its killing my mpg...
are. you in 5th at like 35 mph? lol just drive normally.. odds are everything your doing is costing you mpg's not gaining any.

·
Registered
same as above
861 Posts
are. you in 5th at like 35 mph? lol just drive normally.. odds are everything your doing is costing you mpg's not gaining any.
i dont even use 5th until i hit 40 mph. the engine bogs and you have to floor it to pick up 5mph. it has more to do with throttle position than rpm. try restricting yourself to like 1/4 pedal on the gas. when you take off in first, listen and feel. when it starts losing power and you hear it start to "wind out" a little, grab the next gear. this usually happens around 3-3.5 if you are keeping it within the first 1/4 of the gas pedal. just like when you come to a big hill. it is more efficient to take a jump in rpm by dropping down to 4th than to mat it and stay in 5th. (im revealing how slow my car is)

·
Registered
97 civic
29 Posts
If I'm trying to get mpg I accelerate a little harder out of 1st to get momentum then its all smooth after that 3 k or so what ever your car feels right at. I usually only get 500k to a tank though, I should drive that way more often.

·
Registered
EJ6
1,169 Posts
I shift at 4000 usually but my gears are really short

·
Registered
'98 Hatch
437 Posts
i used to shift 2.5-3k because i used to think it saves gas but now i shift 3-3.5k. with oil change due in 2k @ a 150k stock y7 motor... 30mpg at the very least is acceptable and im happy with, since i just installed the oem stock mani with cat after 4 years of costly smog checks + check engine light of death. haha

·
Registered
01 Gsr And 06 Xrunne
231 Posts
i shift at 3500 to 4000rpm every day hit vtec once in a while and average 33mpgs kinda hard to shift every 2k here

1 - 20 of 24 Posts