Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a degree wheel and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good one to get. I notice that everyone I see says its for ford, chevy and chrysler engines. But the hole will fit the diameter of the crank bolt. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Are you talking about a crank pulley? or Cam gear?

Adjustable cam gears can be great for a little bit of extra tuning. If you're talking about a crank pulley, forget it. Just run OEM. There is nothing to be gained by having a lighter crank pulley. In fact many people have blown their motors up using one. Stick with OEM.

·
Hi hater!
12,548 Posts
Are you talking about a crank pulley? or Cam gear?

Adjustable cam gears can be great for a little bit of extra tuning. If you're talking about a crank pulley, forget it. Just run OEM. There is nothing to be gained by having a lighter crank pulley. In fact many people have blown their motors up using one. Stick with OEM.
WTF are you talking about:tu:

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
When you just install a cam using a stock timing gear and you just line everything up properly, you take for granted thet everything is correct and the cam is in proper time with the rotation of your crank. A degree wheel and an adjustable timing gear will allow you to be sure your cam is installed "straight up". It will also allow for more accurate advancing and retarding of the cam, if you were so inclined.

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
yeah but on a v-8 correcting a cam thats like 4 or 5 degrees off is only good for like 10 horse, on a 4 banger it would be a miniscule bump in horsepower

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i have used them before on V8's. I know how to use them and they have helped out with performance builds that I have done. So you guys think it wouldnt be worth getting for my Z6 build that I am doing?

·
Friend of the D
3,069 Posts
I don't know if it's worth it. I haven't done enough with Honda engines to be sure. Supposedly most d-series cams do best straight up anyways. With b-series on the other hand, they do play around with the cams. There are others on this forum who will know much better than I. Lets hope they chime in!

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
lol hey aragorn i wasnt tryin to bust your balls just putting in my two cents. i dunno theyre might be a honda guru who tells you its worth it just goin off my experience

·
Registered
68 Camaro
4,583 Posts
thats not exactly your average build though, yes at those horsepower levels i would degree it, if hes looking for a 130 horse nice little street build i wouldnt bother

lol i totally just realized... adjustable cam gear screw degree wheel

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Yes, He's talking about this:

I sorry I have no input on your question, but to guess you're safe going with on from any of the major cam manufacturers. Are there special requirements for 4 cylinder motors?
The same one I have, just make sure you get a good pointing indicator like he has, I think with that kit all you get is a piece of wire that you attach and bend it to use it as a pointer.
The one he has is much studier and you can actually realy see where is pointing. I belived it comes with a how to video but is an example of a v8 engine.

I know they use this for the B series engine, not quite sure about the D.

·
www.rifftrax.com
1996 Civic Ex Sedan
1,517 Posts
any degree wheel should work. you can even find plans to print and make your own if you google it. imo it is something that should be done when using any aftermarket cam on a high hp build. even putting possible gains aside, it makes the setup that much safer to know where your timing is starting at and tune from there. and once you know that everything is mechanically perfect, you can get much closer to the detonation threshold without crossing it.

·
Registered
01 Ford Focus SE
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
any degree wheel should work. you can even find plans to print and make your own if you google it. imo it is something that should be done when using any aftermarket cam on a high hp build. even putting possible gains aside, it makes the setup that much safer to know where your timing is starting at and tune from there. and once you know that everything is mechanically perfect, you can get much closer to the detonation threshold without crossing it.
thats kind of what i was going to use it for, just to make sure that everything is setup right. i am going to go with 10 or a little more c/r. i should have used one with build current setup. my Z6 has a 12.3:1 c/r.

·
Registered
2009 tacoma 4x4
220 Posts
if your milling the head, wouldnt your degree change from stock? i always thought there was a formula where for every .020" u shave, u retard the camgear 1*?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
i always thought there was a formula where for every .020" u shave, u retard the camgear 1*?
It's more like 0.040".

If you have the right tools, making one or adapting one is not hard. If you know one will fit, that's even better since they're fairly cheap. I would just get one that has the largest practical diameter so you have the most resolution.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts