Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
10.5 compression srp pistons. zex 105300 stage-2 cam. I/h/e with msd ignition on a d16y8.

i just converted from the stock p2n ecu to a p08 ! two errors codes after swap.. 20 and a 22 if i'm right..one for the vtec pressure switch and one for the eld which my tuner'll be disabling.

anyway..with this setup on the stock p08 maps..my car wont run..its messed up real bad! its missing like anything and backfires ..only time it runs "tolerable' is at high rpms when the missing vanishes..it sounds nasty..and misses at all rpms!? are the p08 maps and my stock p2n ecu maps all that different to cause this bad a difference?! i cant drive my car till its chipped/tuned on the dyno but i'm just wondering? is all this valve overlap and detuned maps !? it feels like i have 20 whp and the car just jerks and stutters with a weird 'blub blub' missing sound from the tailpipe

is this normal?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanks! i thought there wouldnt be much of a difference .. i guess my tuner'll burn a y8 map and start tuning on that

i cant really tell which is the stock y8 bin on that page.. there're three y8 maps there but with no download link in front of any of them.. could you please direct me to the right one?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
that stock bin from there work decetly for you?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
"there're three y8 maps there but with no download link in front of any of them.. could you please direct me to the right one?" :)

also um...i wasnt aware..does the p08 ecu have a cutoff a little above 8 :S? i have stock retainers with zex springs and a 105300 and i just revved till it went upto 8! freaked me out :]

and one more thing, i noticed the ecu i took off isnt a p2p or p2n :S..its a "p2m" .. came stock with the car :S..anybody here know much about the p2m ecu? i'm located in asia and the civics assembled here are just plain weird..mine for instance is rated at '125 bhp'.. its referred to as a d16y8 but had roller rockers! (till i replaced head with original y8) the cam was a vtec-e cam! the ecu is a P2M ! but the rest of stuff is genuine y8 .. *shrugs*

·
Registered
5,015 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yours is a D16Y5 and not a D16Y8.
You have to have the ELD, single wire 02 sensor, Z6 or JDM D15B Dizzy (since your using a P08 ecu), OBD1 conversion.
Install your tuned chip then I guess you'll be ok.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Yours is a D16Y5 and not a D16Y8.
You have to have the ELD, single wire 02 sensor, Z6 or JDM D15B Dizzy (since your using a P08 ecu), OBD1 conversion.
Install your tuned chip then I guess you'll be ok.
he put a y8 head onto the car its now a y8. and no you dont need to convert the distributor nor physically could you. also the o2 sensor stuff can changed with crome so you can run either a 1 wire or a stock 4 wire with the heater enabled.

dont post bout what ya dont know :).

·
Registered
873 Posts
"(till i replaced head with original y8 the cam was a vtec-e cam! the ecu is a P2M ! but the rest of stuff is genuine y8 .. *shrugs*"...

"he put a y8 head onto the car its now a y8."...

Sorry,,I totally missed that part. My bad. thanks for correcting me.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i'm not sure about the P2M ecu though.. according to a few websites its off the "NZ 1.6 SOHC CIVIC" ..is that the same as the vtec-e ? wasnt the HX a vtec-e? and would the vtec-e ecu have alot to do with why i was putting down such low numbers despite a compression bump up and a stage-2 cam (128 whp) ?

i should start off with a stock y8 map as a base and tune from there?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
yup since you now have a y8 engine.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks again amigo.. btw the link you gave.. i was browsing through sohchonda forums and some guy there said the injector size in this same map needed to be changed? did you change it when you used it? or should it be fine?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive had that map for some time and looking at it it seems WAY off isnt the y8 timing suposed to be at 12* while idling in that map its at 21* <- copied off that guys post.

and a reply
thats their fix for the cam timing error......

Jumpered it reads 12 degrees base, unplugged it goes to 21 degrees.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
honda put the cam gear off a little. the maps 21.75* base timing is correct.

I dont remember messing with the injector sizing when I used it but check it to make sure

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
thanks again speedjunky!... just one last question..

i cant seem to find a vtec oil pressure switch.. i've looked all over. the guy who did my wiring 'hardwired' something so the ecu is not throwing code 22 anymore, but i still dont have a an oil pressure switch wired in.. is it safe to tune n run vtec without it?...

·
Boost Gets You Laid
Del Sol
4,402 Posts
thanks again speedjunky!... just one last question..

i cant seem to find a vtec oil pressure switch.. i've looked all over. the guy who did my wiring 'hardwired' something so the ecu is not throwing code 22 anymore, but i still dont have a an oil pressure switch wired in.. is it safe to tune n run vtec without it?...
If I recall correctly vtec will not function with out the vtec oil pressure. If it does it won't act right.

Also your injectors are probaly 240cc saturated type injectors.

Get your shiz setup correctly before you spend the cash on the dyno :TU:.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
you recall correctly :).. it didnt work..well it did, but only the first run on the dyno..when the rpm drops back past 5200 the cel throws a code 22 again..cars gonna get tuned with hondata tomorrow on the dyno.

either my tuner doesnt know jack about stock retainers or i'm gonna be blowing an engine soon because hes set a 7500 rev limit.. and i've heard the stock ones are good upto 7200 ..especially in my case since i have zex springs and a stage-2 cam.... "if they were gonna give in, they'd have done so by now" (referring to my retainers) ..what sort of logic is that?

on a side note, after the obd1 conversion i can hear my vtec crossover pretty loud now..

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
you can disable the oil pressure check in crome. its just a pice of a checklist the ecu goes through before going into the vtec sauce :).

it wont hurt anything if the "disable vtec pressure check" box is checked in crome. just dont romp on the car RIGHT when you start it, give it 5 minutes then let the abuse begin :).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts