Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 90si hatch which has the stock d16a6 in it.This car is my daily driver.I picked up a parts car that had a d16z6 bottom with a y8 head and intake manifold.I want vtec.Would you keep the d16z6 bottom with the y8 head and intake manifold together or would you put the y8 head and intake manifold on the a6 motor? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
ex-g (canadian)
624 Posts
would keep the whole d16a6 or if you really want to swap...

i would still run the a6 block with y8 head... 10.3:1 compression is a bit better than if you have a z6 block...

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
i would keep the d16a6 and build the z6 block and sell the y8 head without the intake manifold. or do a a6/y8 mini me if you want vtec that bad.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
forget SOHC VTEC ever exsisted and keep your current long block.

yeah, Goddard and Telegraph...been there

·
Formerly weebeastie
934 Posts
Why do you want VTEC?

Just wondering? The A6 is a proven performer. For the price and headache of rewiring for VTEC and OBD1 you could buy a Bisimoto Stage 2 cam and walk all over the mini-me. As far as that goes you could walk on a mini-me with a crower stage 2 cam. Do you just like VTEC?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help people.I will be throwing the z6/y8 motor in for now without vtec while i build the a6.Thanks again.Also i might checkout the bisimoto stuff.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm just going to throw that other engine in without hooking up the vtec.Then just build my A6.Just looking for some info on what some people did to there A6.Not sure what way to go,cuz i'm on a budget.

·
Formerly weebeastie
934 Posts
Machine work

Shave the head, deck the block, P29 dome pistons, ARP head studs, Bisimoto stage 2 cam/springs, ARP rod bolts, bored .020 (.5mm), and hang on. That'll make for about 12.5:1 compression with a large enough cam to bleed off compression and keep you out of detonation. Also, if you really get a wild hair go carb like I'm doing. No ECU, means I'm in complete control, not an ECU. Or you can have yours chipped and play with Air/Fuel maps on a laptop. I prefer to be in control. Should make for a great daily driver with great power down low and super power up high. Just my thoughts and my plan.

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
What would you guys do to the A6? I'm on a budget.
"a budget" for one guy might be $300-400, another might consider $1000-1500 a budget. A more tangible number would probably get you some better suggestions. For example, someone suggested a homemade turbo setup with aftermarket rods and vitara pistons. Theres now way that I would consider that a "budget" build, but he does. :D

·
The Great Weldini
91 civic
8,901 Posts
this thread make no sense what so ever. if you want a vtec engine so bad. the d16a6 block is the same as the d16z6. so here's what you do, if you want a 5th gen engine. all you do is this. get yourself a d16z6 head w/all the attachment, then pick up a p28 ecu(d16z6 ecu; if your car is auto you need auto and vise a versa), then get a rywire harness jumper odb0 to odb1, slap it all together, and plug and play. viola you have a vtec engine. damd that slow.

and to recoupe some of the money i'll be glad to take that d16a6 head off your hands.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this thread make no sense what so ever. if you want a vtec engine so bad. the d16a6 block is the same as the d16z6. so here's what you do, if you want a 5th gen engine. all you do is this. get yourself a d16z6 head w/all the attachment, then pick up a p28 ecu(d16z6 ecu; if your car is auto you need auto and vise a versa), then get a rywire harness jumper odb0 to odb1, slap it all together, and plug and play. viola you have a vtec engine. damd that slow.

and to recoupe some of the money i'll be glad to take that d16a6 head off your hands.
I forgot to put that i was just going to go with the whole a6 w/y8 im,fuel rail,injectors and tb.Thanks guys for the replies.Now i have some ideas i can start collecting parts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts