Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my car is a 1990 honda crx si, with 244,000 miles, i installed KYB GR-2 shocks and H&R sofsport springs (.75" drop) in 2003, and they have worked really well and i've had no problems with them.

recently i have noticed that when parked on a level surface, that the tire-to-fender gap on the front left wheel is smaller than the tire-to-fender gaps on the other 3 wheels of the car?, the gap on the front left one is pretty small, just a little more than the width of my thumb, but the gap on the other 3 wheels of the car are more like 2 thumb widths ?

i also notice that if the car is off and parked, it makes a squeaky sound while i turn the steering wheel left to right ? also, it makes a squeaky sound when pushing up and down on the front left corner fender?, and occassionally it makes squeaky sounds if hitting bumpy parts of a bad road. but the shocks & springs perform the same and still rides fine.

i jacked car up with front left wheel off and inspected around that area, and i did'nt see any leaks around the shock or damage, i tried spraying silicone lubricant around bushings and parts of the shock & spring, but it did'nt help, cause i still heard squeak noises.

heres a pic of the drivers side of the car :

pic of passenger side of car :

i wanted to get opinions on what can cause this ? if it means my shock or spring is going bad ? or other suspension component ? thanks for any help

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe the weight of the driver may have worn them in.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Your drivers side wheel looks like it closer to the door?? The gap from the front bumper to the wheel. Has the car been in any accidents?

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,613 Posts
likely bent LF LCA, maybe RF as well but not as bad, also check the radius rod bushings first.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i'm sure the weight of the driver over 10 yrs could affect it, cause i'm 225lbs,

and yes, its been in a wreck on the front left corner, but did'nt hit the wheel, but got everything fixed and it drove normal afterwards.

also, 2 years ago i took it to a suspension/ alignment & frame shop, and had them look everything over and tell me what needed replacement or not,
i needed a control arm, lower front subframe, 2 cv axles, lower balljoints & rear trailing arm bushings, i had them replace everything except rear trailing bushings,

so i know the balljoints are good, and lower control arms, but they did'nt replace the upper control arms ? or those upper A-arm things?, so maybe its something to do with those ?

could it be bad shock ? bad spring ? how can i tell or check ? and maybe the squeaky noise when moving it up and down is something seperate than whatever is causing the fender gap to be smaller ?

thanks for any thoughts or feedback given

·
Live,love,laugh,be real
07' Odyssey 07'Magnum
5,973 Posts
uneven concrete/pavement

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats what i thought at first, thought it was cause i was parked on an uneven surface like inside the car-wash stall, but i tried parking it on a couple different surfaces, and its the same.

·
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque
peterbilt
3,890 Posts
its def because of the accident that wheel looks pushed back even if there is no damaged suspension the chassis could be tweaked. probably adjust that rod deal thing that eds have. get an alignment that will tell you a lot. as far as the squeaking it could be a bushing or a ball joint like they said. easy way to tell if a shock is blown undo the top nut push the rod down if it comes up it is good. also push that side down hard if it bounces more than once the shock is blown. gr2s are ok struts but they are still stock replacements and those usually go bad.

·
I can't read...
10,170 Posts
if i were you i'd take it apart and do some comparing. as for the creaking noise, its possible that the suspension wasn't pre-loaded before cranking all the bolts down.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,613 Posts
if i were you i'd take it apart and do some comparing. as for the creaking noise, its possible that the suspension wasn't pre-loaded before cranking all the bolts down.
or it is binding from crash damage.....

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Its called wheel set back.

Inspect subframes, subframe bushings if applicable, radius/strut rod bushings, LCA busings, and LCA to subframe mounting points.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that shop i had taken it to is a good shop called dallas suspension, alignment & frame, with 26 years experience, he looked over the whole car, and gave me a list of everything that was needed, and inspected everything to tell me what was bad or good etc..., such as shocks or springs and everything, and he said i needed a passenger front LCA, passenger knuckle (it was bent from hitting curb), passenger upper balljoint, both front cv axles, front lower crossmember (was bent), drivers lower balljoint, steering rack bushing and rear trailing arm bushings.

i had all of it done except rear trailing arm bushings, and i brought him the knuckle and front crossmember i got at junkyard but good condition off a civic.

that was 2 years ago about, and he did'nt say my shocks or springs were bad or anything and he would of saw if there was anything funny.

after all of that, he said to get a set of 4 matching new tires and take it to him so he can get it aligned, but he still could'nt do the alignment cause he said i needed new rear wheel bearings, so i replaced them and took it back but still said could'nt do the alignment properly until i get those rear trailing arm bushings done cause theres too much play in the rear wheels, so they never did alignment, but it drives straight enough, cause i can let the wheel go while going 60 and it still goes straight without drifting left or right.

but yeah, it does'nt matter even if i got all those things replaced, cause those are just suspension components which attach to the bottom of the car, but if the car was in a wreck and the frame was tweaked where its not level across, then that means the suspension parts that are attached to it might be not level either, and not be even from the left or right sides and stuff, and since the wreck i had in 2001 was hit on the drivers front corner, that might be why only that corner has the short gap from tire to fender ? along with the weight of the driver wearing on that side over time?

but should probably be ok, but the squeaking is annoying and just looks real low on that wheel, more like it has a 2" drop or something instead of the small .75" drop i have

i think i'll just go by the shop i had that work done at, and have him look at it and explain it, and get his opinion, cause they are'nt that busy and hes cool and is the type of person who will put it up on lift and look at it and give his opinion free of charge, and i'm sure he can tell me, cause i know i can't expect to get answers on forums just from posting a few pictures, cause people have to look in person to really tell.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
4 Posts
Take the car to a body shop. Have them put it on a frame rack to see if everything is lined up even if it looks straight, something could be tweaked

·
Classic Man
Civic
16,355 Posts
Tell him your exact complaint. That the wheels are set back unevenly. And have him correct it and align it. The alignment sheet wont lie.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
that would be a good idea to have it put on a frame rack again to see what they tell me, but always figured it cost too much for me to afford right now, unless they can just look at it for free ?

cause in 2001 after a wreck i had, where hit front driver left corner bumper, it needed 1" or so of the front frame pulled, and i had a frame shop do it but cost $700 ! ! !, plus they did'nt even do it right and i had to take it to them to do a second time, but it still could of been a lot better, and my front end just looks a little crooked,

but i am curious about having this other shop look at the frame to tell me what they think, since its a better shop i trust more, since they did a lot of work for me already,

so i can go by and see if they can look at it for free or a little fee ?, they are good and specialize in stuff but also seem a little slow and have a lot of free time between, so they might be able look at for free hopefully?

heres a link to website of the shop i'm talking about :
Dallas Alignment Suspension and Frame

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another thing to mention is in 2007 i hit a curb at an angle so hard it bent the passenger front lower control arm so bad it bowed all the way back, also bending the point it attached to on the lower subframe piece, so i had to get a new lower subframe, and i got one from an EF civic hatch at a junkyard in good condition, since its too hard finding any from a crx, and i read the subframe from civics fit crx the same ?,

but if it does'nt fit right with the crx, that could easily affect how the front wheels are positioned, making them pushed back in wheelwell more ?

so does anyone know for sure if that lower subframe part that the lower control arms come out from, for the 88-91 civic hatch fit the crx ? cause thats what i used,

also the shop said my front crossmember was bent up, so i got one from a civic sedan (88-91) cause i read they are same as crx, cause if its not then that could affect it too since the radius rods come out of the front crossmember then attaching to the control arms, affecting the position where the wheels are positioned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts