Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was WOT at about 6K and it got more muffled sounding and stayed that way til the end of the race. It's a straight pipe exhaust on a 4-2-1 D16A6.

It was the weirdest thing. It runs smooth, I didn't feel a significant loss in power, and it looks like the exhaust is in one piece. I just don't know what would cause that.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No muffler though. Just a flex pipe. and then straight pipe. What would there be to 'let go'? It runs and drives fine, so it's not like we lost a valve or anything. Exhaust leak maybe?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the only thing I can think of. It runs fine so I'm ruling out spark plugs. No huge losses of power so I can't imagine it'd be something in the head. It has to be the exhaust, but I don't know what could have possibly made it quieter.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Can you unbolt the exhaust? If so look for those restrictions. Then fix accordingly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yes and no. The whole thing, flex pipe and all is welded to the header. So I can unbolt the header from the head, and check there with a long pipe cleaner, otherwise I'll have to chop up the exhaust and see what's up.

You don't think it would be head related or anything though do you? Idles fine, drives fine, etc. Just a lot quieter. I can post a vid tomorrow. You can hear when it gets quieter during the race.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Do the rpm's go as high as before? Thats strange check your tps it could be i your probolem it sounds kinda like limp mode but its obd0 correct

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's hard to tell because I was running a different line when it happened, and it also threw me out of my focus for those couple laps. But it seemed to get relatively just as high. I mean at max I lost like 100rpms. But that could have been my driving, not the car.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
Sounds like the flex pipe collapsed. The inner sprial tubing breaks off at one end and tightens the spriral into a fraction of the original I.D. You may be able to push the outer wire weave apart and push in a pick to investigate. The worst case I've seen from that was a car that was still making 300+ HP (down from 500), it ended up ruining the turbo as it over-spun into oblivion trying to increase boost.

The only other option is you got 20yrs older in an instant. Are you having sudden urges to play golf, move south, or drive slow?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is it quieter at all rpms now or just above 6k. Maybe it's you and not the car
Nah, you can hear the exact moment that it happened in the go pro too. I thought it was just because I passed a loud car. But it was still quiet once I got some distance on him.

Sounds like the flex pipe collapsed. The inner sprial tubing breaks off at one end and tightens the spriral into a fraction of the original I.D. You may be able to push the outer wire weave apart and push in a pick to investigate. The worst case I've seen from that was a car that was still making 300+ HP (down from 500), it ended up ruining the turbo as it over-spun into oblivion trying to increase boost.

The only other option is you got 20yrs older in an instant. Are you having sudden urges to play golf, move south, or drive slow?
Awesome. Thanks for the help! I'll get right on it.

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
Not necessarily, he could still be running fine but feel a difference in power. I vote on the collapsed pipe but go through it to make sure.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Definitely a collapsed flexpipe. If youve explained all the symptoms accurately, your felxpipe is most likely the cause.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts