Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of turbo manifold should i look at getting, do log style VS Ram Horn style do anything different than looks? please help, i really like the style of the Ram horns that are out there. Please assit me here as i am not sure ont he effects on perfomance, or space issues. but i really like the Ram Horn style. HELP!!

·
Registered
629 Posts
whatthehell1051 said:
ramhorn good for HIGH hp and log good for low
don't forget that the ramhorn's are equal length and tend to spool the turbo quicker which changes your powerband, and most won't let you keep your a/c. do you plan to daily drive the car?

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
98_4drCivic said:
don't forget that the ramhorn's are equal length and tend to spool the turbo quicker which changes your powerband
incorrect!, a log manifold will spool a turbo faster then a ramhorn. but ramhorn is more efficient.

·
Registered
726 Posts
ramhorns just look sick.... :IHI:

·
Registered
EX coupe
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i plan on using the car for daily driving going to boost around 8-9PSI, will the ram horn still let the turbo spool around 3500-4000 rpms/>?

C

·
0 Posts
i suggest a "chuck norris" mini rams i think are the best compromise for quick spool and nice flow up top.

·
Banned
443 Posts
Precision cut merge collector is what smooths the flow, keeps scavenging even across all cylinders, allows the majority of the exhaust pressure to spend itself across the turbine/wastegate instead of bottlenecking in a poor flowing log.

Equal vs unequal length runners are a non-issue, unless you are worried about spool time. Unequal length runners typically have less volume inside the manifold, and will spool turbos faster, while the merge collector prevents bottlenecking of exhaust gasses and pressure. An actual Full-Race ramhorn style manifold, with an otherwise identical turbo/engine/setup except a miniram like ccfag's, is going to spool the *exact same* turbo 500-1000 rpms later. Joy.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Joey, have you seen any testing on actual primary size? Seems everyone uses 1.5 SS whatever. You see a lot of guys running out of steam up top do to EMP>>>>IMP. Seems like an obvious answer would be to lower the EMP. Easy way to do that would be increase primary size. Thoughts?

·
Banned
443 Posts
I have a paper on exhaust manifold dynamics you need to read. Deals with pulsed flow turbine collector designs and varying primary size to promote pulse velocity and clarity. Port diameters shrunk down to a factor of 0.4-0.6 were not uncommon. You can extend this concept onto constant pressure collector designs; although pulsed flow does not significantly occur (except in terms of reversion) the idea is to mute the pulses with larger diameter runners.

I have to work in 15 min, I'll see if I can find the NACA paper tonight.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Sign on AIM if you please.

Quasi off topic: Who the fuck in their right mind would drive Joseph Davis off a site in regards to hondas/tech/anything in general. If you find him offensive, DEAL WITH IT. Hes more of an asset than ANY other member here.

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
bigwig said:
Quasi off topic: Who the fuck in their right mind would drive Joseph Davis off a site in regards to hondas/tech/anything in general. If you find him offensive, DEAL WITH IT. Hes more of an asset than ANY other member here.
do you really think I care?

Joseph Davis said:
Tell you what, hit me up off this site. Hell if I'm going to lay tech up in here when a moderator has decided to fuck with me when I haven't anything done wrong here.

wahhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

ok cry baby, have your rep back .... there you go, you're a big boy now !!!

C

·
0 Posts
i agree joseph davis is an asset. even though hes touched me on my genetals more than once,

dont let him sweet talk you while drinking schlitz in his pimped single wide. :holla:

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
well.. to help you with your decision.. i think you should watch this video.. and after the video give ccfab a holler.. and put in an order for your new ramhorn mani.. :lol:

http://www.panekmechanik.com/Videos/FR Manifold Test.wmv

edit: ccfab, if he orders a ram from you, i want 10% ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts