Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
00 Ek coupe - Maroon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, this is my first post and am wondering, i have a d16y8 with the stock trans and my third gear crunchs at high rpm but fine as a D.D. My question is what other types of MTF(besides Honda) is good for my trans....i was looking at royal purples synchro mesh but was just wondering on other options....Thanks and mahalos

·
Registered
00 Ek coupe - Maroon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would differenet brands like castrol syntec or royal purple make a difference? i had 10w30 before and was okay but was just wondering....any thoughts?

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
nah. just good ol 10w30.
Welcome! 808 reppin!

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
10w30 motor oil.
hmmmmmm i was told and always believed that 10w30 was a bandaid and only to be used for a short time till you can get honda mtf or syncromesh?!?

but if the trans guru says its ok, i may not have to spend $20 on 2 quarts of syncromesh next time to change out the tranny fluid

·
Registered
00 Ek coupe - Maroon
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where do u find synchromesh? is that royal rurple? i was looking at royal purples synchromesh and said that u can add that to manual transmissions that require autamatic trans fluid,that kinda threw me off.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
yeah, definitely do not use motor oil as a long term solution. Maybe first try Honda MTF ($7.01 per quart at my dealership) and then if that doesn't work get the syncromesh. Or maybe the other way around? I have read that syncromesh is great put can sometimes be hard to get out of gear.

·
Registered
huh?
1,315 Posts
im sure bone will chime in as we just went over this here recently regaurding Gear oil in a tranny.
Old school Honda MTF was ok...the new mtf is thick and doesnt work as well...

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
gm syncromesh friction modified all ways worked good for me

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
yeah, definitely do not use motor oil as a long term solution. Maybe first try Honda MTF ($7.01 per quart at my dealership) and then if that doesn't work get the syncromesh. Or maybe the other way around? I have read that syncromesh is great put can sometimes be hard to get out of gear.
Really now, how do you base you point????

10w30 is the recommended fluid by Honda for 88-95 transmission and able to be used in 96-00 as well.

Honda no longer sells the MTF that they suggested for 96-00 transmissions. The only reason for the thinner fluid, better gas mileage.

Current MTF from Honda is pisswater thin.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,313 Posts
thank you for that point, I've never mentioned this.

The brown bearing cages with "lighten" in color after running Redline MTL. I have a SCCA HS tranny I did not long ago and kept the bearings from it because of this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Gears are categorized into several types. They are used in a wide era of industries including automotive, milling, paper industry etc. According to different applications in industries and different materials used they are categorized separately. Different types of gears are also custom design and are fabricated by gear manufacturing services as par the specifications.

Crown Wheel and Pinion
Differential Gears
Fine Pitch Gears
Girth Gears
Hardened and Ground Gears
Helical Bevel Gears

1 - 18 of 18 Posts