Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys im looking to get a good turbo like a garret but im tight on the buget 500-650$ so thats why i dont no what turbo to chose and its for a daly drive i dont want a turbo thats going to be cook in 2000 miles :p, my goal is 350-400whp this year and latter 500whp so if some one can help me out please .

d16zc block
walbro 255
arp head stud
vitara piston
eagle rods
ported oil pump
1000cc injector
oem head gasket

thanks for all the help fellows !:TU:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Get the go-autoworks T3/T4 50 trim

ok and with that turbo i will have no problem getting my 500whp latter ??, i went and check at go-autowork and it says 450hp thats why im assking

cuz im not going to by a turbo if im going to buy a nother one after you no wast o money thats just my point :p

·
Registered
6,837 Posts
Our .70 a/r Spec turbo is excellent for the 400-450whp range on the D. 500 would be putting it right around the threshhold of its limit.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Have you looked at Precision's website? Also remember the HP number on the turbo is most likely crank HP. Some manufacturers vary on that. You want to find a turbo about 50 more HP than what your desired outcome is. Over spinning a turbo is not good, and having one at its limits all the time runs into a reliability issue.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you looked at Precision's website? Also remember the HP number on the turbo is most likely crank HP. Some manufacturers vary on that. You want to find a turbo about 50 more HP than what your desired outcome is. Over spinning a turbo is not good, and having one at its limits all the time runs into a reliability issue.

yeah i heard of precision turbo but i heard that they are not that reliable corect me if im wrong ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Since you mentioned it's for a daily driver, I wouldn't get a turbo that's efficient at 500whp. Reason being it'll lag to the moon before you see boost. The T3/T4 50 trim will support more than enough power you'll want for a DD and give you a nice powerband.

I'm going to be using a 50 trim with a stage 2 turbine, .50/.63ar housings. Looking for around 300whp for my daily driver. You're not going to have traction with more power than that, so I'd recommend you rethink your power goals for your application before deciding on a turbo.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Amen to that ^ x2. you are spot on man.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
yeah i heard of precision turbo but i heard that they are not that reliable corect me if im wrong ?
precision makes some of the best turbos period!
your going to hear bad things about every turbo maker no matter what. everyone has different reviews. but imo precision makes the best turbos. there a bit more money bot worth every penny in my book.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Since you mentioned it's for a daily driver, I wouldn't get a turbo that's efficient at 500whp. Reason being it'll lag to the moon before you see boost. The T3/T4 50 trim will support more than enough power you'll want for a DD and give you a nice powerband.

I'm going to be using a 50 trim with a stage 2 turbine, .50/.63ar housings. Looking for around 300whp for my daily driver. You're not going to have traction with more power than that, so I'd recommend you rethink your power goals for your application before deciding on a turbo.
The larger turbo will keep him out of boost while normal driving. Meaning he won't be using as much fuel. Meaning its his DD, and it won't rob his wallet. Plus I don't understand how 500 HP is not a reasonable goal for power. It's not like it's going to see it every single time he drives it. Lag can be a good thing, and everyone knows that you have to brake boost or anti lag a 4 cylinder to get that power Rollin. You guys do know that there are vehicles out there that make more than 300 HP stock and are considered streetable, and some are even sold at dealerships. I know it sounds crazy to have a 500 HP FWD car, but it's streetable if you want it to be. Not everyone drives like a RERE every where they go. And if it's laggy, you are less likely to act stupid because you know it will take a minute to make power. Get the turbo you want for the power you want and drive that stuff all over the planet. Get some really good tires tho.

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
The larger turbo will keep him out of boost while normal driving. Meaning he won't be using as much fuel. Meaning its his DD, and it won't rob his wallet. Plus I don't understand how 500 HP is not a reasonable goal for power. It's not like it's going to see it every single time he drives it. Lag can be a good thing, and everyone knows that you have to brake boost or anti lag a 4 cylinder to get that power Rollin. You guys do know that there are vehicles out there that make more than 300 HP stock and are considered streetable, and some are even sold at dealerships. I know it sounds crazy to have a 500 HP FWD car, but it's streetable if you want it to be. Not everyone drives like a RERE every where they go. And if it's laggy, you are less likely to act stupid because you know it will take a minute to make power. Get the turbo you want for the power you want and drive that stuff all over the planet. Get some really good tires tho.
But you can easily keep a small turbo out of boost during normal driving. Turbo size isn't as much of an issue as driving style. My turbo is about the size of a soda can and I have no issues keeping it out of boost.

At 300hp you've reached about the limit of what is really streetable in a FWD car. How many of these over 300 hp stock cars you are talking about are FWD? I would wager either very few or none. FWD cars reach the limits of useable power threshold much faster than their RWD or AWD counter parts. Simply because all of the work is being done by the front wheels the back wheels are just there to look pretty and keep the car up. In a FWD setup you ask A LOT of the wheels because they have to use the grip they have for two things (1) propelling the car forward and (2) getting the car around a corner. The more power you put down the more the balance shifts towards 1 and away from 2 (can you say understeer boy and girls). This is why FWD cars reach the limit of streetable power much faster than a RWD or AWD set up. A 500+ hp Lambo, Vette, Ferrari or what have you wouldn't work with a FWD setup the physics for it just isn't there.

That being said it is possible to maintain streetability at that power level as long as your driving style keeps it streetable. If you don't drive like an asshat anything is streetable. Personally from the graphs I've seen and cars I've been in I think a smaller power goal would be more fun for a street setup but I like my smooth juicy torque curves, when you start getting up in the 450+ range you start getting really peaky powerbands. I like my no lag smooth power delivery setup. Not nearly as much power but I can make use of it when I'm not going in a straight line ... and boy is it a hoot to drive.

·
Registered
852 Posts
^ Took the words right out of my mouth. A bigger turbo doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay out of boost more often. People often set unrealistic goals because they have no perception of that power.

·
凸(◕_◕)凸
1,669 Posts
But you can easily keep a small turbo out of boost during normal driving. Turbo size isn't as much of an issue as driving style. My turbo is about the size of a soda can and I have no issues keeping it out of boost.

At 300hp you've reached about the limit of what is really streetable in a FWD car. How many of these over 300 hp stock cars you are talking about are FWD? I would wager either very few or none. FWD cars reach the limits of useable power threshold much faster than their RWD or AWD counter parts. Simply because all of the work is being done by the front wheels the back wheels are just there to look pretty and keep the car up. In a FWD setup you ask A LOT of the wheels because they have to use the grip they have for two things (1) propelling the car forward and (2) getting the car around a corner. The more power you put down the more the balance shifts towards 1 and away from 2 (can you say understeer boy and girls). This is why FWD cars reach the limit of streetable power much faster than a RWD or AWD set up. A 500+ hp Lambo, Vette, Ferrari or what have you wouldn't work with a FWD setup the physics for it just isn't there.

That being said it is possible to maintain streetability at that power level as long as your driving style keeps it streetable. If you don't drive like an asshat anything is streetable. Personally from the graphs I've seen and cars I've been in I think a smaller power goal would be more fun for a street setup but I like my smooth juicy torque curves, when you start getting up in the 450+ range you start getting really peaky powerbands. I like my no lag smooth power delivery setup. Not nearly as much power but I can make use of it when I'm not going in a straight line ... and boy is it a hoot to drive.
I think there were valid points made in both quotes. That being said, I only want a 'big' (for me:) dyno number, and dont give shit about lag :-D As long as I hit 400 on my built bottom end I'm happy...

^ Took the words right out of my mouth. A bigger turbo doesn't necessarily mean he'll stay out of boost more often. People often set unrealistic goals because they have no perception of that power.
esp a little FWD with 350+..

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think there were valid points made in both quotes. That being said, I only want a 'big' (for me:) dyno number, and dont give shit about lag :-D As long as I hit 400 on my built bottom end I'm happy...

Yeah like you said me to a dont give a **** about lag lol I just want my HP goal .

1 - 20 of 34 Posts