Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might buy this off a friend but it has no VIN on it so I can verify its history.

I need to make sure its a 96-00 EX tranny.
Thanks!

·
Certified O.G.
A Shitbox
5,605 Posts
Look at the stamp on the casing, it should be somewhere near the fill plug. It's a little circle that's split in half and on top there will be something like S20 and on bottom B000. IDK if those are the actual numbers you are looking for, i just used them as an example. IF you find it, post up the numbers and i'm sure someone will be able to identify it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
96 Civic HX
976 Posts
Look at the stamp on the casing, it should be somewhere near the fill plug. It's a little circle that's split in half and on top there will be something like S20 and on bottom B000. IDK if those are the actual numbers you are looking for, i just used them as an example. IF you find it, post up the numbers and i'm sure someone will be able to identify it pretty quickly.
X2, ya beat me to it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If it is a 96 00 ex trans it will say p4a/B000 in the dime sized stamp on th trans case located above the fill hole and near where the pass side axle goes in at. I just got a 98 ex 5spd trans yesterday an it says s40 on the ink stamp stating it's 96 00 and the stamp on the case tells the gear ratio set and bearing size I.e p4a means ex short gears and b000 states that it is a big bearing d series trans. I just learned this from the help I go from fellow member of d series who helped me identify the trans I was gonna buy which I ended up buying last night

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check it out tomorrow thanks.

I was just curious since my EJ8 transmission has the VIN near the top where its identifiable. This one didnt have a VIN plate nor a location for it.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cant find any more markings on the tranny besides that sticker.

Where else do you guys want pictures from?

·
Registered
11 Posts
i once heard k4f trans was shortest geared d-series trans you can get. i also was told it was exclusive to the 99-00 civic ex. i believe this is correct but there are people here that really know their stuff.

·
Registered
99 integra ls-DD
384 Posts
i believe 92-00 ex trans are exact same other than si trans have slightly shorter 5th gear ? correct me if im wrong please.

·
Premium Member
5,819 Posts
i believe 92-00 ex trans are exact same other than si trans have slightly shorter 5th gear ? correct me if im wrong please.
the shift forks are different too...96-00 have steel forks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts