Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for factory lsd transmissions. do they use just plan honda mtf, or have people found a better replacement?

·
Registered
639 Posts
honda MTF is probably the smartest.. synthetic 5w30 could be used also!

·
Registered
see above
4,258 Posts
honda mtf for me =)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Don't go to a parts store and ask for manual tranny fluid... those douche bags will give you 80w90!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
10w30 SF/SG motor oil, I might be switching to Rotella engine oil soon, if I can find light enough oil.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hi,
Jus a simple question to bring this discussion further. How much mileage shd one change their gear oil? Any input, thank you.

·
Banned
Audis, Vdub, R6,EVO8
1,594 Posts
Hi,
Jus a simple question to bring this discussion further. How much mileage shd one change their gear oil? Any input, thank you.
Eh depends on your driving habits and what you are running. I would just change it every 2000 miles and or one month.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
what??????

you'd change the tranny fluid 3 times before changing the engine oil????

I suggest every 15k miles, which just so happens to be what Honda calls for under severe duty.

Myself, I just change the fluid with every tranny swap......about due for another tranny swap :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
^^^^^
Now that's HARDCORE!

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,630 Posts
my record is 5 trannys swaps in a one month period, I was younger and had two spare cars, but I was testing different ratios...knowledge paid forward :)

·
Registered
138 Posts
what??????

you'd change the tranny fluid 3 times before changing the engine oil????

I suggest every 15k miles, which just so happens to be what Honda calls for under severe duty.

Myself, I just change the fluid with every tranny swap......about due for another tranny swap :)
Hmm, can enlighten me whether the engine oil can take the stress of long mileage as we change our engine oil at interval of 5000km (normal mineral oil)or 10000km (syntectic oil)? In this case, I am referring to using engine oil in tranny and not honda MTF to narrow our discussion. Any input welcome, thank you

·
Registered
81 Posts
If I recall from an earlier discussion about this synthetic is bad news for older trannys, iirc its bad for the plastic bearing races (help me out here Bone)

I posted the same thing before my last trans swap and ended up going with 10w-30 el cheapo oil. No problems, no issues.

Later I noticed on the back of my owners manual (yes, I still have the owners manual from my 91!) 10w-30 is listed as an acceptable trans fluid.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Hmm, can enlighten me whether the engine oil can take the stress of long mileage as we change our engine oil at interval of 5000km (normal mineral oil)or 10000km (syntectic oil)? In this case, I am referring to using engine oil in tranny and not honda MTF to narrow our discussion. Any input welcome, thank you
Engine oil will work fine. Honda mtf makes for smotther shifts though. Honda has an upgraded version of their mtf for the 06up models. It's supposed to be backward compatable to older models. Haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I bought Penzoil Syncromesh... is that comparable to GM or Honda MT fluid?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts