Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
same
1,881 Posts
My arm. Go expensive. Snap on, craftsman, can't remember all the other names. No Harbor Frieght tho.

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
I have a Craftsman 1/2" drive ft/lbs wrench and seek a decent 3/8" drive for in/lbs business, probably end up getting another Craftsman, Snap On is crazy expensive, too rich for my blood

·
Registered
My car...or my truck
1,035 Posts
IMHO, Craftsman is the bar, I wouldn't advise using anything less for serious applications like building an engine. If Kobalt is indeed Craftsman, maybe you'd be okay...if it's not, well, building engines is fun, right? Why not build another?

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts

·
Registered
94 Civic Ex Sedan
815 Posts
Anyone know about the kobalt? I read its a renamed craftsman and has a lifetime warranty
Never heard of kobalt plus not that great of reviews on amazon. If i was trying to be cheap I would go with tekton personally. (But i rarely go cheap anyways cause I usually end up spending more in the long run that way)

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
We use Craftsman OG click type wrenches at work, but that's just for torquing retention knobs to tool holders.

:lol:

My go to at home is an SO click type 3/8" drive 5-75 ft/lb torque wrench. I also use the OG click type Craftsman torque wrenches as well at home.

Generally speaking if the wrench is in calibration and you use it within it's accurate range, it will serve you well. There is a bit of technique involved as well.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I have used Snap-on digital (with turn angle option), Snap-on standard break away, Craps man, Harbor Freight/flee market, Precision instruments slide bar and beam type, and lastly break away Matco. I have yet to use a "Mac" torque wrench, of any kind...

That said, I have 4 (1/4", 2x 38" [flex and straight], 1/2") Matco torque wrenchs and one 1/2" PI slide bar (set it and forget it, as we nickname them) in my tool box at work. I dropped my flex head Matco 3/8 drive right on the head, even gave the head a little dent. Sent it to be re-certified, it was only out 2% from specification.

·
Premium Member
93 del Sol Si
235 Posts
Been using a variety of Craftsman torque wrenches for years, both beam type and clickers depending on the job at hand. I also have one Snap-On, one NAPA brand and one small KD beam type for low torque apps. I've also got a set & forget clicker that's designed for spokes- got it specifically to keep the trials bike wheels in shape.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts