Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in school for mechanics and i need to get my required tools for class pretty soon. I have the opertunity to get some snapon tools at a considerable discount but there still pretty high. I was wondering what mechanics out in the real world prefer or find are the best. Best bang for my buck scenario.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
snapon have certain tools that are designed to work differently than most other tools. I've seen their socket sets and they claim that the socket will grab onto the middle of the bolt instead of grabbing the corners of the bolt where you can more easily strip them.

Snapon are lifetime guarantee too (i think), so best way to buy them is used. Craftsman are quality too, but not as good as snapon. If you can't afford Snapon (who can?) get Craftsman. If you just want a tool for one thing and probably won't use it much ever again, get Harbor Freight tools. Super cheap! They just don't last too long... my ratcheting wrench is starting to die after about 1 1/2 years of use. It will occasionally spin freely when I'm trying to turn a bolt.

Autozone tools are too expensive for their quality (low).

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
snap on is def. best imo but if your just starting out craftsman is perfect...at my school they have all the tools there so we dont need to get tools for the class...what school is it?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
get some mack tools they are gauranteed for life they do the job and if they break they will replace for free

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
same with craftsman... up to a point... they'll replace broken wrenches and stuff, but I don't think they'll replace a messed up torque wrench

·
Registered
500 Posts
a hammer

you dont need anything else

if its stuck and you want it off, hammer it off, if its off and you want it stuck, hammer it in.

:)

.."what do u call a russian screw driver? a hammer" :)

·
Banned
939 Posts
As a mechanic, the bulk of my tools are Craftsman. I would recommend these as you are just starting out. There is no doubt that Snap-on makes a fine tool, but the price is very high.
I do own some Snap-on tools but they are generally specialty tools that I'm unable to get elsewhere.
When you get a couple of years under your belt(and making more money), treat yourself to some high end tools.
I know several guys who went to a mechanics school only to do something else after a year or two. I would hate to have a outstanding balance on tools I no longer use.
I know of the Snap-on school discount you write about, however, they seemed to have a problem delivering the product.
Oh yea, skip on the high dollar tool box, Craftsman works just fine. Get the ball bearing models.
I hope that helped. What school are you attending?

·
Ikillyoutillyoudiefromit
07 Si Sedan
389 Posts
I prefer the kind of tools that work, and aren't over priced like Snap-On. Craftsman are good, I like them. Snap-On has alot of neato little specialty devices and such but damn $300 for a set of box ends!? $10000 for a tool box!? Maybe when I hit the lotto...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as far as fixing aircraft, we use primarily snap on tools in my shop

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mix of snap on and craftsman but i dont think any of the snap on tools have had to be worked on or replaced, but most of the craftsman have.... and just remember, there is no craftsman truck, u have to go to their store when it breaks... snap on man comes to you.... starting out tho like everyone else said i would say craftsman

and i am selling a $175 snap on impact driver for $75 in pretty much new condition if anyone would be interested

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cation said:
I prefer the kind of tools that work, and aren't over priced like Snap-On. Craftsman are good, I like them. Snap-On has alot of neato little specialty devices and such but damn $300 for a set of box ends!? $10000 for a tool box!? Maybe when I hit the lotto...
I know what your sayin man but there number one for a reason. I have the feeling ill be miss and matching them.

·
Ikillyoutillyoudiefromit
07 Si Sedan
389 Posts
Don't get me wrong though, I like snap-on shit. ALOT. They're just expensive... I heard somewhere that they are forged at the same place as craftsman tools, only to higher tolerances, hence better performance as the no. 1 tool maker. Just something interesting to note...

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I beleive its blue point that is forged there. Snap on own them but the y are made of lesser grade steele. Thats what the sales rep said atleast.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use SnapOn tools for any job that matters... other jobs I use a crusty old Motomaster set from Canadian Tire, and inbetween jobs (delicate jobs that don't require much torque) I use Craftsman Professional. The SnapOn tools I have are like fine china, I only use them on special occasion.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I use craftsman, or anything else made in the U S of A

1 - 20 of 35 Posts