Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what kind of tool do yall used to sand down paint off your car?

I did sand down my fender by hand but it took too much time and it wasn't easy.

need a good cheap sander/polish tool.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How much of the car are you wanting to sand? Are you wanting to get it to bare metal? Do you have a good air compressor?

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much of the car are you wanting to sand? Are you wanting to get it to bare metal? Do you have a good air compressor?
im sanding the whole hood down to metal,no i dont owned a air compressor.
looking for something like this but i want it to use it for sanding and buffing.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/images/7424-buffer.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.coastaltool.com/a/port/7424_car_buffer.htm&h=196&w=215&sz=8&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=duB-8opRTunNqM:&tbnh=97&tbnw=106&prev=/images?q=car+buffer&um=1&hl=en&sa=G
but i want something cheaper not gonna pay 1bill for that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
man i got a rectangle sheet sander...and it works mint...

get some assorted sand paper from store...3 bucks...
i got my sander used from pawn shop 20 bucks...

180 grit should sand the paint off and if it doesnt 80 will.lol

·
Registered
97 Honda Civic
1,784 Posts
Brake Fluid, i'm not too sure what kind of job it'll do on complex auto paint, but it wrinkles and strips most kinds of paints. which is why you must never spill it around your car, if you do wash it away immediately with soap and water.

·
Registered
Mostly the 91 CRX
1,329 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
if you use zip strip or air craft stripper. wear good gloves goggles and do it outside, i wouldnt even suggest using that stuff in a garage with the door open. that stuff is no joke.... go to a dept store and get a cheap air compressor. i got a 2hp 8gal for 89 bucks. it had enough air cappacity an hp to keep it goin to paint a car. then u have an a/c and its handy as hell. swap tires 30 sec, hell i filled mine up and brought it to the track, droped my stock steelies w/ new tire to 20psi had better traction than my 16 in toyo fz4's and filled them back up for the trip home. its def worth the investment

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
ok so id say the best way to strip a whole car with no tools is to goto home deopt with like 100 bucks get a electric oribital sander and plenty of sand paper then goto the paint aera and get lik a gallon of there paint stripper (ill get you the name i used its like the strongest stuff) odorless it will change color when on the paint after like 20 min only do a small aera at a time otherwise it will dry up on ya. after your done stripping the entire car clean with laquor thinner then sand very very throughly with 80 grit then 180 and clean again. any questions pm me.
i just painted a 1949 special deluxe this way got tons of pics will post if ya want.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts