Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im a new member but long time reader. i have a 98 civic coupe dx model has a d16y7 motor with a y8 manifold and bolt ons. i need help deciding what im going to do to it next. the motor is the original motor to the car before i got the car it seems like it hadnt really been worked on much. with that said i think its probably time to do a head gasket watper pump timing etc. etc. it has been over heated before so those things would be ideal any ways. i have a couple options and need opinions i currently have the d16y7 motor in the car and also have a complete swap d16z6 motor in my garage wich could probably use a little work before putting it into a car as well currently have $1000 to spend to start off with. a friend of mine has a complete turbo kit (Greddy) ac compatible for sale for 600$ with ecu and inectors everything needed for the turbo. im pretty sure its a great deal. my intial plan was to rebuild my y7 motor and put in the turbo at a low psi nothing too big but now im having 2nd thoughts with so many different options i might have i dont really have a goal in whp just looking to do something different and what ever it turns out to be id be fine with

option 1) rebuild the y7 and put the turbo in i know that would be passing my $1000 i currently have but i could sell the z6 to help with funding on that.

option 2) keep the y7 in the car while i re do the z6 and maybey turn it into a high comp. motor slowly gathering parts while i still have my y7 in my car to drive while i work on my extra motor...

option 3) trade my z6 block for a extra y7 block (or buy a extra y7) and do the same as option 2 but with a y7

i kind of like the idea of building a non v motor especially since everyone in my area hates on non v motors.(and d-series in general) but honestly id sort of like to do the best bang for the buck...i dont want to build a y7 motor and spend alot of money when i could have just gone with the z6 with less money and got the same whp.

im really looking for help on deciding what to do opinons any feedback is great maybey throw some additional options my way

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
if you're not worried about emissions, i say build the z6 and slap it on. sell the y7 to get some more funds and go from there. find a si (z6) tranny or a ex (y8) tranny and buy a new clutch also.

Post pictures of what you have.
Where are you from? Fresno?

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
I like Pata's idea the z6 makes a great turbo platform because of it's good factory compression level. You can take the $1000 and put it towards all the parts you will need to refresh the z6, and put together your own turbo kit. Sell the y7 to help finish up the turbo build, get an obd1 ecu, chip it, and find an si/ex B000 transmission. I think 8-10 psi on a good tune would yeild some nice hp numbers safely.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the feed back pata im from VISALIA
i do have a extra ex trany so thats not a big deal i also do have a obd1 p28 auto to manual converted. so thats all coverd.

spoonedcivic you say to refresh the z6 and later slap the turbo on it....when you say refresh do you mean just refresh it or do you mean refresh and add a little extra inside for the turbo later.....

the reason why the turbo is an idea is because my friend has it for sale for 600 with the 340 injectors? and the ecu with chrome and its everything else that a turbo should have also included correct me if im wrong but i think its a steal?

ill have pics up of everything as soon as i have my phone charged up

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
340 injectors are weak. you should get 450 atleast IMO. for $1000 You could install vitara pistons on an LS rod, and head studs, and turbo kit,ecu

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
340 injectors are weak. you should get 450 atleast IMO. for $1000 You could install vitara pistons on an LS rod, and head studs, and turbo kit,ecu
what kind of turbo kit would you be talking about?

and where could i order the vitara pistons>?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
piece together a kit. you dont need everything brand new. ebay has the pistons.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what kind of head studs are you figuring?
ok so let me put together the info im geting

refresh the z6 motor
vitara pistons
ls rods
head studs
p28 ecu wich i have.
then slap that into the car, then piece together a turbo slap that into the car with 450 injectors and chip ecu with chrome or something like that? then get the damn thing tuned?

is that what your saying?

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol i figured on the arp just figured i'd ask

any extras you might suggest doing to motor other then the pistons rods and studs?i kind of like your idea pretty sure i might just go that route especially since i can keep the y7 in my car while i work on the z6

question and correct me if im wrong. the only thing i have to do to put the z6 in my 98 coupe would be to put my automatic y8 manifold onto the z6 along with a jumper harness for the dizzy and a jumper harness for the ecu and then run the 2 extra wires to the ecu for the vtec solenoid right?

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
sick1camcivic has you on the right path I feel. I didn't know about the previous turbo parts you had at your disposal. But unless you find your parts for cheap I don't think a grand will get you everything you need. Here is what I would do if I were to make a list to price out and plan for.

Vitara pistons
LS or forged rods (whatever you can afford)
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
ACL/King racing main/rod bearings
OEM MLS 3 layer head gasket
send bare block off to a machine shop for cleaning and honing (If you are installing new pistons and piston rings YOU NEED TO GET YOUR CYLINDER WALLS HONED)
NPR piston rings
Micropolish crank journals if needed (If crank needs to be turned junk it and find a mint one)
new water pump
new timing belt
new tensioner pulley
all new gaskets

And that's just the block haha, I would name prices but they vary so much it's what you can find at the time you're ready to purchase...

Now for the head... I feel a d-series VTEC head just gets in the way for boost... If you were just going to "freshen" up the z6 as in gaskets that need replaced and cleaning up I would not bother with the head. But since you're talking about vitara pistons and new rods you might as well rebuild the entire engine. This includes the head...

First thing you need to figure out is how high do you want this engine to rev? I honestly would not rev it past the stock rev limit, just leave it stock which is 7500 for a Z6. That way you can stay with stock valve springs and retainers. But, I would go ahead and at least a Delta 272-2 turbo camshaft. This will go great with stock springs and retainers and is designed to help the engine along with boost. If you want to go a bit wilder on the boost get the 282-2 camshaft, but this one will require aftermarket springs at the least... I would look at Isky or Supertech for that solution best bang for the buck they are. And if you're going to go that far, I would also get an AEM adjustable cam gear for the fine tuning... REMEMBER TUNING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF OUR BUILDS. Without them we don't make the power the engine can make with the modifications, or we risk blowing something up...

While you have the head off of course you need to have it milled for flatness, I wouldn't take no more than .004" off just to make sure it's flat for a perfect seal. You don't want to take anymore off because you don't want to raise your compression ratio.

So the above build will yeild you around 7.6:1CR or 12.8:1CR under 10lb of boost. CR is a little on the low side for me to be honest. Because face it if this car is your DD you're not always going to be in boost, and putting around town with a 7.6:1CR when out of boost will SUCK. That is why I like the CR of a stock z6 which is 9.2:1CR, it's enough to get around town fine when not in boost, but low enought to where you're not going to blow your engine up when you are giving it the beans.

Hope this info helps you out any, and be sure to use the CR calculator in my sig, it will help A LOT.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SpoonfedCivic....wow! alot more info than i anticipated. you left me speechless i really dont know what to say...i really love the idea it will just take more time and money to do more time because its going to take time to get the money to do it.

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
SpoonfedCivic....wow! alot more info than i anticipated. you left me speechless i really dont know what to say...i really love the idea it will just take more time and money to do more time because its going to take time to get the money to do it.
Remember this is just one of many possible ways you can go with a build. Do more research on your own, and don't expect to many people to spoon feed you like I just did on this site. Good luck.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also never hurts to port the oil pump no matter what engine you are using.
yeah i was figuring to go that way ill keep u guys posted on what i end up doing should be within the next week or two when ill start

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sick1camcivic has you on the right path I feel. I didn't know about the previous turbo parts you had at your disposal. But unless you find your parts for cheap I don't think a grand will get you everything you need. Here is what I would do if I were to make a list to price out and plan for.

Vitara pistons
LS or forged rods (whatever you can afford)
arp rod bolts
arp head studs
ACL/King racing main/rod bearings
OEM MLS 3 layer head gasket
send bare block off to a machine shop for cleaning and honing (If you are installing new pistons and piston rings YOU NEED TO GET YOUR CYLINDER WALLS HONED)
NPR piston rings
Micropolish crank journals if needed (If crank needs to be turned junk it and find a mint one)
new water pump
new timing belt
new tensioner pulley
all new gaskets

And that's just the block haha, I would name prices but they vary so much it's what you can find at the time you're ready to purchase...

Now for the head... I feel a d-series VTEC head just gets in the way for boost... If you were just going to "freshen" up the z6 as in gaskets that need replaced and cleaning up I would not bother with the head. But since you're talking about vitara pistons and new rods you might as well rebuild the entire engine. This includes the head...

First thing you need to figure out is how high do you want this engine to rev? I honestly would not rev it past the stock rev limit, just leave it stock which is 7500 for a Z6. That way you can stay with stock valve springs and retainers. But, I would go ahead and at least a Delta 272-2 turbo camshaft. This will go great with stock springs and retainers and is designed to help the engine along with boost. If you want to go a bit wilder on the boost get the 282-2 camshaft, but this one will require aftermarket springs at the least... I would look at Isky or Supertech for that solution best bang for the buck they are. And if you're going to go that far, I would also get an AEM adjustable cam gear for the fine tuning... REMEMBER TUNING IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF OUR BUILDS. Without them we don't make the power the engine can make with the modifications, or we risk blowing something up...

While you have the head off of course you need to have it milled for flatness, I wouldn't take no more than .004" off just to make sure it's flat for a perfect seal. You don't want to take anymore off because you don't want to raise your compression ratio.

So the above build will yeild you around 7.6:1CR or 12.8:1CR under 10lb of boost. CR is a little on the low side for me to be honest. Because face it if this car is your DD you're not always going to be in boost, and putting around town with a 7.6:1CR when out of boost will SUCK. That is why I like the CR of a stock z6 which is 9.2:1CR, it's enough to get around town fine when not in boost, but low enought to where you're not going to blow your engine up when you are giving it the beans.

Hope this info helps you out any, and be sure to use the CR calculator in my sig, it will help A LOT.

i decided i am.most likely going to go with this. +/- a few things. my quedtion once done with these things minus the cam what do u think my whp would be and then same question but with the cam vefore turbo

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
I didnt replace, water pump, oil pump,thermostat or any gaskets on mine. im at 250k miles. 340whp. bone stock head internals. if it aint broke, dont fix it. and ive had this for 3-4years now. Just dont overtighten the stuff with gaskets. thats where people fuck up and all their shit leaks. However I did do work to my oil pump. you dont NEED to bore. I used 75mm just got a fresh hone, and im at .007 p/w and like i said. 4 years later im good. though it depends on how well the engine was taken care of as to if you could get by aswell.

·
Registered
HONDA
1,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
not sure if i understood your answer correctly..your saying that basically with a bone stock head and the above setup that we spoke about vitara pistons etc etc. your at 340 whp? is that with or without the turbo?

-did i mention how much i appreciate all the info you guys are giving?

·
Premium Member
93 Civic del Sol Si
1,278 Posts
not sure if i understood your answer correctly..your saying that basically with a bone stock head and the above setup that we spoke about vitara pistons etc etc. your at 340 whp? is that with or without the turbo?

-did i mention how much i appreciate all the info you guys are giving?
Lets get one thing straight, there is no wan on God's green Earth that a d-series will ever come close to 340whp all motor. To be honest an all motor d-series is at it's absolute limit around 160whp and good luck getting that far!

But, the d-series is very capable of 600+ whp on boost. A local tuner with a basic vitara setup on his 91 Civic laid down 430whp on a decent tune. It's proven and works very well.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts