Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own a ef b16 (hitting 14.1s ), but im thinking of selling it and going back to the D. I first wanna try a setup on my buddies car. I have a garrett full T4, im not sure if it will work. I wanna run low 11's, and i think its possible considering I already saw buddy running 11.30 in the black ef.
DOES ANYBODY HAVE A LINK TO THAT VID.
Assuming I need about 400 ponies, whats a good size turbo. Is it possible to run a full a6 or a6/z6, or a6/y8. I have a complete y8.
This is one the most informative honda sites yet, keep up the good work.:mikej:

·
Lifetime Awesome Member
'89 CRX HF
25,544 Posts
you can run whatever 1.6 motor you want, its all pretty much personal preference.

a t3/t4 .63/.60 60 trim would get you there pretty easy. the 405hp Vitara sedan is running that snail at 25psi :TU:

although in an EF(depending on model) i think you could hit 11s with less than 400hp

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how much can a turbo like that fetch.....can I use a full T4 turbo or will it struggle to spool up at all.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
how much can a turbo like that fetch.....can I use a full T4 turbo or will it struggle to spool up at all.
what is the a/r on the t4? If it is larger than a .63; you're probably not gonna be able to spool it... but you could buy a t3 exhaust housing and keep that t4 compressor housing...

ryan: drunkinmaster has a 57 trim, not 60...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im gonna have to check, i really dont wanna butcher the T4, i paid $1,200 for it, intending to originally use it on a LS frankenstein, but ill keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Yeah what are the specs on the turbo you have, a t4 is too big unless your boosting alot. Have you looked into a t3/t4 or a gt3037? That should get you into the 11's easy. I ran a t3/t4 on mine with a 57 trim ar. .60/.63 stage 3 wheel and worked great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ouch i know

it was an impulse buy, I know, i checked last night, never noticed it, compresser housing is .60 AR and hot side is .96 AR , i dont know the trim, can somebody tell me or find out, I have the serial number. Turbo is brand new in the garret box. I think it is ball bearing, not sure, please find out. Im relatively new to this turbo thing, but willing to learn. The Turbo I believe was an aftmarket upgrade for a grand national.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
There's a tag on the center housing that will have a part number, post it and I'll see if I can find it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got the info on the turbo
SERIAL NO. HFM60187
Part No. 409080-5000
Garrett Honeywell
On top of the compressor inlet it had 274-3 E A/R.60

On the turbine side it had MI SRS Airesearch A/R.96

·
insert user title here
domestic.
3,015 Posts
yep, i run a t3/t4 57 trim .63/.60 stage 3.
there's been debates on which trim is the best. some guys use the 50, some like the 60, im happy with my 57 trim. either will make 400 hp with minimal spool time compared to the t4 because of its exhuast housing. so dont go too big otherwise you wont even hit its efficiency island until 8 to 9 grand. there's always going to sacrifice spool time for hp with turboing your car unless you get a bb turbo which puts you into the $1400 range. most of the guys who's dynoed at around the 400 hp range has a turbo that is very similar to mine. trim and area radius may very a bit.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I got the info on the turbo
SERIAL NO. HFM60187
Part No. 409080-5000
Garrett Honeywell
On top of the compressor inlet it had 274-3 E A/R.60

On the turbine side it had MI SRS Airesearch A/R.96
T04B

Turbine Wheel Inducer Diameter: 74.2mm
Turbine Wheel Exducer Diameter: 64.6mm
Turbine Wheel Blades: 11
Compressor Wheel Exducer Diameter: 70mm
Compressor Wheel Inducer Diameter: 51.6mm
Compressor Wheel Blades: 8/8 Split
Turbine Housing AR: .96

You got a big one off a Duetz diesel probebly from a Allis Chalmers

·
Registered
66 Posts
well with a turbo like that it may not spool right away but when it would get going it would be unstopable... and with the longer spool you would be able run a lot better top end

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
.96 A/R turbine won't spool without some help or luck with a motor under 3.5L

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Add a 1 in front of that or a roots blower and now you have a chance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts