Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock Y8 head, Viatara / FJT bottom end, T3/T4 50 trim turbo, Edelbrock Performer X intake manifold, going for 350+ WHP. Daily driver / weekend warrior.

I was thinking 65 mm to compliment the intake mani.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
It depends.

If you're running a stock camshaft and shifting at around the stock redline, I'd keep it below 60mm. You'll have slightly higher pressure losses across the stock throttle body because of the denser intake charge and higher air viscosity, but the compressor will help to damp the intake pulses which lowers the peak airflow demand through the throttle body.

On the other hand, if you either are planning (or already have) an aftermarket camshaft, or if you're simply planning on revving a lot higher than the stock redline, then yes, something in the 60mm - 65mm range would be good. I would guess something closer to 60mm would be better though. Plus, your throttle modulation gets worse the larger you go.

I don't know what the inlet bore diameter is for your intake manifold, but it would be pointless to go above that in either scenario.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It depends.

If you're running a stock camshaft and shifting at around the stock redline, I'd keep it below 60mm. You'll have slightly higher pressure losses across the stock throttle body because of the denser intake charge and higher air viscosity, but the compressor will help to damp the intake pulses which lowers the peak airflow demand through the throttle body.

On the other hand, if you either are planning (or already have) an aftermarket camshaft, or if you're simply planning on revving a lot higher than the stock redline, then yes, something in the 60mm - 65mm range would be good. I would guess something closer to 60mm would be better though. Plus, your throttle modulation gets worse the larger you go.

I don't know what the inlet bore diameter is for your intake manifold, but it would be pointless to go above that in either scenario.
Thanks for the info. :bigok:

·
Registered
487 Posts
Stock should be fine, but if you really want to get a TB. Get either an LS or a GSR they are both 60mm and really all you need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts