Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently fabbing up my turbo setup, and am "considering" a non-intercooled E85 setup (to start). I have used and tuned with E85 in the past and loved it when dealing with boost! May be time to experiment with the d-series platform as well.

What size injectors would you recommend for E85, considering a power goal of 300whp?

For those of you running E85, what size injectors are you running and what is your current injector duty cycle at your given power level? (doesn't have to be exact)

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
500cc would be the smallest I'd recommend, and that's with much higher fuel pressure (>75psi). 650cc would be the min on a stock regulator if your motor isn't bone-stock, but anything up to 1200cc will work great.

A couple guys on here (who to live near me too) have IN900's and IN1000's from Injector Nation in their E85 D16's. Jun (not sure what his screen name is) maxed his IN1000's in the low 400's with stock fuel pressure and is as streetable as a 400whp 1.6L racecar can get. The IN900's are the best deal for most people, PM me for more info.

I'm not sure if I'd consider a non-intercooled setup in this day & age. Even the ebay fmic's will help drastically, and they're very cheap. You can get a cheap pipe & IC kit for ~$150 on ebay, which is 1/3 of what you'll pay for an IC with a Garrett/Precision/Spearco/Trust core. If you're worried about throttle response, the math shows doubling pipe volume leads to ~0.1-0.3 second increase in time to fill the pipes. I don't feel the blink of an eye is worth the HP loss.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
500cc would be the smallest I'd recommend, and that's with much higher fuel pressure (>75psi). 650cc would be the min on a stock regulator if your motor isn't bone-stock, but anything up to 1200cc will work great.

A couple guys on here (who to live near me too) have IN900's and IN1000's from Injector Nation in their E85 D16's. Jun (not sure what his screen name is) maxed his IN1000's in the low 400's with stock fuel pressure and is as streetable as a 400whp 1.6L racecar can get. The IN900's are the best deal for most people, PM me for more info.

I'm not sure if I'd consider a non-intercooled setup in this day & age. Even the ebay fmic's will help drastically, and they're very cheap. You can get a cheap pipe & IC kit for ~$150 on ebay, which is 1/3 of what you'll pay for an IC with a Garrett/Precision/Spearco/Trust core. If you're worried about throttle response, the math shows doubling pipe volume leads to ~0.1-0.3 second increase in time to fill the pipes. I don't feel the blink of an eye is worth the HP loss.
EXCELLENT info. Thank you. I actually do have an intercooler with the kit I am putting together and was considering the no-intercooler route due to the throttle response/turbo lag but you have cured that worry with the above info.

Sounds like I will go with the 900 or 1000cc injectors that you recommended. I will be sending you a PM!

·
Premium Member
95 civic coupe
1,358 Posts
IN1000CC with walbro 255 on e85. Since I cranked the boost on mbc I'm probably around 430-440whp right now with injectors at 95% cycle duty and 60psi base fuel pressure.

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
IN1000CC with walbro 255 on e85. Since I cranked the boost on mbc I'm probably around 430-440whp right now with injectors at 95% cycle duty and 60psi base fuel pressure.
Jesus, that poor pump! I bet that return line is reduced to returning a few drops at that point.

That said, the Walbro 450 pump is only ~$125 shipped from amazon w/install kit. I think I'm going to pull the trigger since I want to switch to E85 too.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Jesus, that poor pump! I bet that return line is reduced to returning a few drops at that point.

That said, the Walbro 450 pump is only ~$125 shipped from amazon w/install kit. I think I'm going to pull the trigger since I want to switch to E85 too.
Which pump is the right one?

Also you IN900 should be good up to 450whp? On e85 or vp c85?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You guys rock. Thanks for all the replies. I have been having an offline convo with HiProfile and he has provided tons of good info. I will likely be getting injectors from him soon.

To Flip: 1600s and 580whp... holy $*#*!!!! :TU:

On a side note. My buddy who ran E85 eventually had to go back to regular because of the "goo" that was clogging his injectors. Have any of you run into this issue and if so, is there a simple explanation/fix? Something in the fuel components getting eaten up/eroded by the ethanol??

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
94 Integra
1,225 Posts
I've done a lot of reading on that goo issue, but nobody has found the silver bullet. The most likely explanation is one of the fuel additives doesn't work that well with ethanol. Others claim it's the rubber parts disintegrating, but it's even happened to fuel systems that are 100% stainless/alum/teflon. Some people have it bad in some areas, other locations never get it. In any case it dissolves in gasoline readily, so it's just a good idea to run a few gallons of E0 or E10 through the system every few E85 tanks.

Which pump is the right one?

Also you IN900 should be good up to 450whp? On e85 or vp c85?
With a decent motor & lots of fuel pressure IN900's should support >525whp with E85 (>80psi base pressure).

The kit below includes everything and it's only $115 atm. So far no "fake" pumps have popped up, but this type of "turbine" pump is much easier to kill than most other pumps. These pumps can easily be damaged if any air moves through the lines (empty tank or vapor lock), which is why people think they got a knockoff. Also beware that it uses 2x more amps than a genuine 255HP (14 vs 7) but only a bit more than a knockoff 255 - so a 10awg rewire is mandatory.

Amazon.com: Walbro TIA485-2 450 LPH Fuel Pump Kit: Automotive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts