1,771 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
anything 200-300 watts should be adequate and should hit pretty good aswell

·
FAMILY MEMBER #316
2,955 Posts
tell me youre getting more than one sub.

if not, youll need a monster amp

·
This one's for you, Duck.
Wait, what?
2,304 Posts
Just one? That's a why bother. Especially the 8ohm version

Get two and bridge down to 4ohms and that first amp should be plenty.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
yep 4 ohm sub, but those amp prices scare me, my god those are cheap.

200 CLEAN watts into a single 10", 5/8 ft^3 sealed encloseure.....plenty enough bottom.

·
Premium Member
95 CX Hatch
5,910 Posts
whats wrong with an 8ohm sub?
If you are only running a single sub you wont get crap for power out of any amplifier. About 99% of the amps out there are rated in power at 4 ohm. Most are capable of dropping to 2 ohm and some, usually class d,j and high current amps, will drop to 1 ohm or lower. When you lower the ohm load on an amp, it kicks out more wattage. Now keep in mind too, running at 4 ohms sounds much cleaner. With that 8 ohm sub it was really designed to be run in multiples on a single amp.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
You want a mono block amp for ANY single subwoofer application. ANY!!!! I would never trust a 2 or 4 chan amp on one sub. Mono blocks have cleaner power and dont draw as much current from your battery. Power doesnt kill speakers.....distortion does. Mono blocks have the cleanest power avaiable. Even though youre doing just one sub (vagina much?) Find a decent 200-400 watt mono block amp and a dual voice coil 4-ohm sub. You get what you pay for. Dont ever go cheap in this department. Ever!!! Dont buy a cap either. Theyre not needed. A great system consistes of a baller "ground", clean correct wiring, quality hardware (i.e. wires, speakers and amp) and a super baller alternator. 160 amp alternator can handle power sucking system you throw at it.

Ooops. Okay. Just get a good mono block amp 200-400 watts and a dual voice coil 4-ohm sub.....both of wich from reputable companies. Try to match the companies if you can. You'll get a much better sound quality this way.

If you want I will look for amps/ subs or whatever you need. I will try to find pics of the systems I've done in the past or ones I helped with. 3 of which hit in the low to mid 140's. My friend Randy and I did the same setup back in high school. (2) Rockford Fosgae BD1000 mono blocks powering (1) Rockford Fasgate HX2 15" sub, each!!!! Expensive but they pounded!!!!! HArd!!!!! His hit slightly over 143db in a sunfire and mine hit just under 141db in a 92 Prelude. I'll try to get pics of his for ya to show you I mean business.

Sorry if I sound like a smart ass. I know I'm not this guys only answer. There are other excellent answers above me as well. Just sharing what worked for me and others I've helped over the years.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
Not everyone is looking to set dB records, for most a good clean 125 dB with good extentsion to 25 Hz is plenty.

spin it DJ Magic Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheres the BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
Not everyone is looking to set dB records, for most a good clean 125 dB with good extentsion to 25 Hz is plenty.

spin it DJ Magic Mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wheres the BASS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Very true bone. Is it okay to stop bowing now? lol I'm looking for a 200 watt mono for him now. That should be enough for one pussy *cough cough* sub.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,425 Posts
I'd have to stay with Alpine. The one you listed for $150 from Crutchfield is the same he listed for $75 from craigslist......I'd go new.

Fuck amps are getting cheap. Dunno about the quality though.

MTX 2160 will rock your socks off. I still have this monster to play with someday........

Soundstream Van Gogh 800.5

·
Registered
89 hatch
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol..thanks guys. like i said, only reason im thinking of getting one sub is that the car only has front 6 1/2s. no rear speakers. this is just to ad some kind of bass. i would have been happy with 6x9s but i dont feel like modding anything to get them to fit. also, im trying to keep weight down.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
I'd have to stay with Alpine. The one you listed for $150 from Crutchfield is the same he listed for $75 from craigslist......I'd go new.

Fuck amps are getting cheap. Dunno about the quality though.

MTX 2160 will rock your socks off. I still have this monster to play with someday........

Soundstream Van Gogh 800.5

OMG!!!!!!! I want!!!! I must have that!!!!! Where did you find that beast????

No prob man. Thats why we're here. You're gonna need a good set of 6 1/2"'s as well. Just putting that out there.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,944 Posts
whats so great about it?
Well, on top of being sexy as fawk. It provides clean power and massive bizzzump!!! Its a good amp too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts