Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, by parts i mean Valve Train upgrade - clutch and ect..

not pistons or rods to expensive for me.

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts
those evay kits are JUNK.. i would highly suggest not getting it. it will not fit right. lots of custom work will need to be done.
and if your not changing pistons and rods. leave the other shit stock too. bout all you need is a decent clutch
but it looks like you need to search a bit more before you think about going turbo. theres a lot of stuff you dont realize. like the problems you will most likely run into.
and if its your daily driver car id suggest finding another car to turbo. i dd my old civic that was turbo and it was down more then on the road. i know have a new dd and that car is much faster then it would ever be as a dd.

boost is addicting. you wont wanna run low boost for very long

·
Registered
431 Posts
You say that you dont have much money -> thats okay

You want to go cheap instead of trying to save some money -> debatable but as a start it's somehow okay imho
(thats how most of us started hm?)

You need your car as DD + want to turbo + dont have much money -> not ok!!

(cheap) stuff *will* break. your car *will* be down

·
Registered
94 civic si hb
122 Posts
You say that you dont have much money -> thats okay

You want to go cheap instead of trying to save some money -> debatable but as a start it's somehow okay imho
(thats how most of us started hm?)

You need your car as DD + want to turbo + dont have much money -> not ok!!

(cheap) stuff *will* break. your car *will* be down

sounds just like me take his advice and dont do it !!!! i had my jdm d15b and said sure why not turbo it kit went on easy and i knew what i had i was expecting my motor to blow up eventually like 6 months or so down the line BUT 3 days after it went on when i was getting it tuned i threw a rod through both sides of my block and didnt have a car not a good feeling your better off saving your money getting a different daily and then turbo it or just get somthing else and boost it NEVER RISK YOUR RIDE!!

·
Registered
95 ex coupe
4,281 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Theres a lot of work that you have to put into these kits to make them fit. Especially for an 88 civic. For starters, the downpipe will not work without a lot of custom work. The intercooler piping will have to be redone. The manifold will not allow for your full size radiator. If you do insist on going turbo search around for what other people with your body style are going with. Also upgrade to a new headgasket and arp headstuds at a minimum.

·
Registered
844 Posts

not pistons or rods to expensive for me.[/QUOTE]

You will fail. Its going to happen. We will all laugh at you. They will all laugh at you. Everyone will laugh at you
6c9fb0f9.jpg

·
Registered
86 MR2
1,401 Posts

not pistons or rods to expensive for me.
Soo "valve train" means now clutch etc.. I thought it mean a train line of valves. Sure is summer here already:dots:

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well this is good advice, I'm taking my time on this so little by little turbo is my last step. I am searching, but i find it easier to ask my own specific questions other then taking more time to look at them.

·
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!
88 y49 crx
3,888 Posts
If you don't want to take the time to research things, going turbo is not for you.

Nor is this forum.
best advice in this thread so far. (others have given some good stuff too)
it all comes down to if you wanna research about your goals. if not then leave this forum and pay some shop to do the work for you...

·
Registered
148 Posts
These guys are not hating on you either. They are trying to keep this forum from being a high school shop class and more of a technical resource for motivated enthusiast who want to talk about their shit to others who give a shit. So basically if the new guys has a question there are thousands of others who asked the same thing on this site. But as others have said read some more. On the top of the forced induction page there are about 4 threads that have been saved/ stickied read those for a small start. There is a ton knowledge on this site. You just need to earn it by reading it which is very cheap.

·
They call me Awesome!
4,447 Posts
well this is good advice, I'm taking my time on this so little by little turbo is my last step. I am searching, but i find it easier to ask my own specific questions other then taking more time to look at them.
STOP BEING LAZY!!!! Waaaaaahhhh spoon feed me. If you can't figure out what needs to be done to your car in order to bolt a friggin turbo on by doing some SIMPLE searching you shouldn't be driving in the first place.

Stop being lazy and do a search!

These guys are not hating on you either.
Deuce speaks for only himself.

aka not me.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
I love those eBay kits!! I had one for almost a year and not one single problem. Im going to turbo again soon and you best BELIEVE im going to get an eBay kit again. Nothing like raping B series motors and spending half the price. and the torque is so fun.

To upgrade? You dont need anything. Just do your head gasket and you should be good up to 250whp if your engine is in decent shape.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I love those eBay kits!! I had one for almost a year and not one single problem. Im going to turbo again soon and you best BELIEVE im going to get an eBay kit again. Nothing like raping B series motors and spending half the price. and the torque is so fun.

To upgrade? You dont need anything. Just do your head gasket and you should be good up to 250whp if your engine is in decent shape.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Just to be of some additional help that a lot of ppl don't mention either in stickies or regular threads, make sure to have decent quality suspension and good tires so you can properly put the new power you'll be making to the ground and not just spin tires. Oh yeah, good brakes so you can stop(common sense) the new found power. Besides all that, pick up called maximum boost by corkey bell and read parts of it when you're not so lazy to do research. That book is the damn boost bible!

·
Registered
88 Civic Hatch
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
no it's not that that i'm lazy, I mean I am up all night reading threads at least 3-4 hours a night. I work graveyard as a security officer so I have nothing else better to do then to read. I like this forum and I don't want to leave, so far i've learned a lot by asking questions and it seems to be working for me so, if you guys don't want to reply to my post it's fine but we all started somewhere

I'll try to keep the posting at minimum i've pretty much read every thread on google. Just some sites don't work because my internet provider blocks some sites.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
how much power are you wanting?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts