Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
if he sets his IGNITION timing at TDC, I doubt the car will even run being 16 degrees out of time.

but being he is putting a new cam in, which requires taking off the cam gear, thats why i said run it at TDC. set the dizzy in the center, put a timing light on it to make sure its at 16degrees, once warmed up...

dont you have to set mechanical timing at tdc before even worrying about ignition timing.????

·
Registered
623 Posts
but being he is putting a new cam in, which requires taking off the cam gear, thats why i said run it at TDC. set the dizzy in the center, put a timing light on it to make sure its at 16degrees, once warmed up...

dont you have to set mechanical timing at tdc before even worrying about ignition timing.????
but he asked about ign timing not cam timing

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
^ um i know that, but without having it set to tdc, rotating the dizzy wont advance or retard the ignition timing enough to be at stock specs., so having it at TDC is important. and thats what i was getting it.

and without having a chipped ecu, your new cam upgrade is almost pointless until you get tuned.

·
Registered
Honda Civic
2,943 Posts
:popcorn:

Hey Pata, you wanna share?

Always have cam timing at TDC when installing a cam. That's your "control" so to speak.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
How are you gonna run that without engine management?
IMO you should get a chiped ecu if possible and a tune. Changing the cam to that big one effects alot of different shit.

On a side note my tuner and I put my 257-272 in the other night and it was a bitch to get timed. I am going to have to make a special bracket for the distributor bolts cause the existing one doesn't go far back enough to stay in the tune.

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,294 Posts
How are you gonna run that without engine management?
IMO you should get a chiped ecu if possible and a tune. Changing the cam to that big one effects alot of different shit.

On a side note my tuner and I put my 257-272 in the other night and it was a bitch to get timed. I am going to have to make a special bracket for the distributor bolts cause the existing one doesn't go far back enough to stay in the tune.
you are doing it wrong :)

Wanna check your cam timing????? Set Ignition timing to 16 BTDC @ 800 or less rpms before pulling the cam. Install new cam and and check ignition timing. IF it changed, you are either 1+ teeth off or have a different core than you sent in for grinding.

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
why would you install a cam at anything other than TDC?????

You are confused and confusing the thread.

im not confused or confusing the thread.. the op hasnt even installed the cam yet, and having the cam at tdc after the install is very important. and a timing light will also help you greatly.

my comp 59500 cam is at stock specs...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i noticed a big diference in the preformance of this y7 after the 272. Its not like i gain huge hp from it but it more shifted the power range. With the old cam the y7 has excelent low end torque but drastically dyes out above 4700 rpms. With the 272 it feels like a smoother preformance and peeks power at redline. It was defenitly money well spent. I will be tunning this car eventually but i have other things to spend my money on atm. Btw its a y7 in my 90 ed7. I think i need to uprade my exaust system now but i hate to make it any lowder then stock.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
According to my timing light, stock timing was exactly where it was after cam install in relation to distributor position. I just marked where i had the distributor before hand.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So i was digging threw my pile of ecu's and came across this Pg7 ecu from an 88 teg. Would this be a beter option for the 272 then the pm6 thats in it now?

·
Registered
1990 civic 4 door LX
2,121 Posts
If you had slightly more compression I bet it would help. I tune my own stuff and nothing beats the availability of a chipped computer. Burner. And wb02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts