Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was going to sell my turbokit but i already have so much money but into it .... but im affraid of blowing my internals if i dont build them up first before i boost my car ..... what should i do sell the turbo buy internals and then go back and boost my car or boost my car and just run low boost until i have enough money to buy internals not sure what to do......has anyone ran on stock internals and how did that go ?

·
Registered
98 civic
2,429 Posts
TONS of ppl run on stock internals....just get a good tune and you should be fine unless you have problems with the internals already

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I've been runing on stock internals for awhile.Alot of people do actually.Here's the key.

A good tune and a healthy motor to begin with.Get a compression test and leakdown test done and,if those numbers come back good your fine.No point turbocharging a car with problems that are only going to get worse from added stress.It won't blow if it's healthy,tuned good built good and at a moderate horspower level.

Nice to see more ohio people on there.Read the stickies and faq's!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yourself, or any good auto shop.Autozone and places like that actually sell the testers if you wanted to do it yourself.

·
Registered
1991 Honda Civic SI
2,509 Posts
I can't help you decide what block to go with but, I had a 4g63 non turbo internals with 20,000 miles on it and then I through a big 16g evo 8 turbo on it and it didn't last but like 4-6 month's and it blew the pistons out , yea we're talking Mitsubishi to Honda but it taught me to change the internals before boosting ever again. My 2 cents

·
Registered
636 Posts
block choise is really up to u but like the others here have said if ur tests come back fine u can boost to about 200 hp and be fine on stock internals. Im at 210 with edelbrocks open track kit and a P28 w/crome

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
Have you looked at the stickies..?

Also, how is anyone gonna make any suggestions if we don't know what you have. So like Bone would say, what year ford?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
ok cool ... have you guys heard of a block protector ?
You mean a block gaurd? Not needed if your not planing on making big horse power and then you would need to have it installed right, not just droping it in with the head off.Only mods you may want to do for safety is arp headstuds and a new oem headgasket.Im not even runing that and I have zero problems.

Aren't those blocks the exact same?I thought the only difference between Y seires motors was the vtec equipment/head/intake manifold/emissions stuff, since they are both 1.6's.Could be wrong.

READ THE STICKIES!! also look at the 200+honda-tech sohc turbo thread and pay turbod16.com a visit.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have you looked at the stickies..?

Also, how is anyone gonna make any suggestions if we don't know what you have. So like Bone would say, what year ford?
no reason to be a dyck head obviously your on a d-series forum and my sign on is 2000 civic ex and my intro tells all

d16y8 stock no internals nothing special at all just asking for a little help

went and had it tested yesterday everything is A-ok

·
Registered
Acura TL-P
6,837 Posts
Turbo it. 5-6psi, good tune on a healthy motor you'll be fine. There are tons of street stock block turbo SOHCs around.
Then save up to build a block if you have the urge to make alot more power.

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i was talking to this guy and he said something about sleeve and darting my motor and i could run like 40-60lbs boost true not true if so how much would that coast

·
Worst Mechanic Ever!
EG
2,915 Posts
no reason to be a dyck head obviously your on a d-series forum and my sign on is 2000 civic ex and my intro tells all

d16y8 stock no internals nothing special at all just asking for a little help

went and had it tested yesterday everything is A-ok
It's basic information, you shouldn't make people assume. Was it really that hard to just post your engine code?

i was talking to this guy and he said something about sleeve and darting my motor and i could run like 40-60lbs boost true not true if so how much would that coast
Whats your HP goals?

·
Registered
2000 honda civicex
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
with the money i have right now just round about 200 cant really afford aftermarket internals ..... but looking and wanting to see 12's would be happy with 13's but im wanting 12's .....

·
The Master Fabricator
2,038 Posts
At this level - I'm going to assume you're a noob that knows nothing about cars or building up motors...

With that said, until you do a TON of research, you should be looking at mild power gains - maybe shoot for 170whp and 7-8 psi.

With those power levels (up to around 200hp) you'll be fine

1 - 20 of 21 Posts