Honda D Series Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,I have a 1990 Civic Si' ... so when ever I drive and hit a small bump my whole car bounces up and down and after a few seconds it keeps going, than it stops if I drive on a smooth road, or not so bumpy road,the car is dropped with some coilovers , F.Y.I the coilovers are not the best, from the looks of them , they look like ebay ones, they came like that when I bought my car... does my car do this because my "shocks are blown" or because my coilovers look like a cheap brand , I was abel to lower my car an inch more yesterday and it bounces a little more , but it did get dropped an inch , any ideas on what should I do or What should I buy to fix my problem , posting links of websites on what I should get would be helpfull....

Thanks
-Jonathan

·
Registered
95 integra
504 Posts
crappy ebay coilovers and blown shocks will do that man,all you gotta do is replace them.

·
D-series wise guy
2,858 Posts
Push down on each corner of your car. It should be firm/smooth. If it is bouncy then you have a blown shock.

Cheap coilovers/springs and/or cheap shocks can lead to this problem. It could also be that they are just worn out and blew from normal wear and tear.

Until you identify if the shock is blown and what brand of spring/shock, the best anyone can do is guess.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
why would you just buy new fronts?
you can get away with performance dampers up front only, since the rear damper shaft has more travel then the front. sounds strange, but the rear is more spring depended then the front and vise versa.

I say its the ebay coilovers, my cousin had that waay back on his Si and thats exactly what i would do....them long drives made me sick
this has less to do with the springs then you think. the dampers where probably blown and the springs were set at a level too low. my EH3 has ebay specials w/ stock ITR dampers, it rides better then the SK2 springs on tokico blues i had on my EJ6 before or the SK2 sleeve overs i have on it currently.

spring rate
ride height
suspension travel
damper valving
bushing condition
weight

all of these play a part in how a suspension will re-act to the road. blaming the springs is narrow view and leads to horrid suspension set-ups leading to people upset with the final out come.

·
Registered
85 Dyno gt
259 Posts
A friend of mine with his crx he has(got it that way so its getting fixed slowly but surly) cheap ebay coilovers(blue) on stock shocks and when you push down on its firm and smooth but when you ride it in it bounces like a sunamahbish but its only in the rear though. But then again they had it lowered so much the collars were stuck against the top of the spring perch.

So iam not sure on the smooth and firm thing.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys! ill just end up ordering the ones txdochzc posted , unless anyone has a link to some better ones that are not to much $$, I was riding my car today and this one bump in the freeway made me fly up and down for a few seconds and did the same for the passenger, and it really bugs me because if i hit a bump right when im about to shift, it will end up going to the wrong gear or just end up going in no gear

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.