Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've got a D16y8 in my car right now and I'm not sure yet of what kind of setup I should do to it. I want to keep the D series, but am not sure if I should go N/A, Turbo, Supercharger or Nitrous. Basically Im looking for the most power for the money (dont get me wrong, I would rather spend a few bucks more on something if it is more reliable), but my car is my daily driver and dont really intend on doing any racing with it, unless its messing around on the street. I just want a setup that will make my car more fun to drive and yet wont break the bank too much and still be a reliable daily driver. Plus I cant see putting like 5+ grand into the motor, cuz when the day comes that I decide to sell it, I want to be able to get most of my money back that I put into it. Right now I have a CAI, Megan Racing Header, and a Magnaflow catback. So if you guys could give me your opinion on what I should do I would appreciate it. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
ok I've got a D16y8 in my car right now and I'm not sure yet of what kind of setup I should do to it. I want to keep the D series, but am not sure if I should go N/A, Turbo, Supercharger or Nitrous. Basically Im looking for the most power for the money (dont get me wrong, I would rather spend a few bucks more on something if it is more reliable), but my car is my daily driver and dont really intend on doing any racing with it, unless its messing around on the street. I just want a setup that will make my car more fun to drive and yet wont break the bank too much and still be a reliable daily driver. Plus I cant see putting like 5+ grand into the motor, cuz when the day comes that I decide to sell it, I want to be able to get most of my money back that I put into it. Right now I have a CAI, Megan Racing Header, and a Magnaflow catback. So if you guys could give me your opinion on what I should do I would appreciate it. Thanks

At this point since you already have I/H/E get a tune or if you have some $$$ go get a cam and then a tune. If you are just messing around on the street, I dunno I already learned my lesson with that so I say don't bother putting any more $$$ into your DD or if you must mod the hell out of your DD save for a lawyer so you don't get fist fucked for street racing, otherwise save for a good race chassis and go to your local track on open drag nights.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah at this point Im thinking I might do N/A because it wont cost too much compared to if a had to build the motor and turbo it. Plus it would still be fun, incase I have to show up a B-series, lol. How much more power could I expect with like a Crower stage 2 or 3 cam and a tune?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, thats not too bad. In that case should I p+p the head, I know i will have to do new springs and retainers too. And what about a 3 angle valve job?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
might as well get the head done since it will be off if you get a pnp anyway

also i am gonna guess your young less than 21....

·
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
^^Look up
5,468 Posts
At this point since you already have I/H/E get a tune or if you have some $$$ go get a cam and then a tune. If you are just messing around on the street, I dunno I already learned my lesson with that so I say don't bother putting any more $$$ into your DD or if you must mod the hell out of your DD save for a lawyer so you don't get fist fucked for street racing, otherwise save for a good race chassis and go to your local track on open drag nights.
Or be smart and save it for the track?
I don't need to drive around my city racing every guy that revs on me at a stoplight? I know how fast my car is.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I was thinking I might look into them. and besides you know how it is when some idiot trys to show you up on the highway I dont instigate races, but if some guy wants to race, Im all in lol. And drag racing really doesnt due it for me. I like a lot of speed and great cornering. But also Ive been thinking does anyone know where I could find a D16y8 motor with like high miles on it. So I could rebuild it then put in my car afterwards, this way I can still drive my car in the meantime. I know there are a lot of motors laying around due to B-Series swaps, but I dont know where the hell to find them.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
wait till you get 65 posts and then you can look at the classifieds, and don't post whore or you will smacked down by the mods

·
R2.....Zap Balls
94 Ex coupe
5,186 Posts
wait till you get 65 posts and then you can look at the classifieds, and don't post whore or you will smacked down by the mods
:werd:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Or be smart and save it for the track?
I don't need to drive around my city racing every guy that revs on me at a stoplight? I know how fast my car is.
I think thats what I was try'n to say lol =D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
how much do you think it would cost to rebuild my head and maybe do a set of crower rods and the p29s. Im not sure if I want to handle a rebuild. Dont have too much experience in doing that kind of work yet. Ive gotta start looking for good shops around my area. Its though there is only like one speed shop around.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sorry to be the dickhead of the thread, but 130 even 140hp in a coupe is going to be slow. I understand you are not a racer but if you are considering building a bottom end I would build it for boost or gas ( all the way). No matter what kind of money you put in a car you will loose most of it. And if you race (NA-Bolt Ons) pretty much any GOOD RUNNING b series w/ bolt ons in a hatch or coupe they will most likely beat you. I ran 14.5 NA with my car but its a crx with tons of weight off it and has 133hp. If your going to sell the car just leave what you have on it. If you do the head and what not, its not going to give you axle snapping power by any strech of the imagination. You will just be throwing away money for a 15 sec or high 14 sec car. If you build, build that fucker for 275+(Boost) and then you will have something FUN to drive. You will not touch that kind of power with p29s and a cam, That is a waste of money. Nitrous can get you places fast for cheap as well, you just have to be careful with tuning. Good luck

·
Registered
741 Posts
actually a single cam can make 160whp with off the shelf parts easily jus needs to be done right and yes with p29 pistons and if u r reading wat he says he wants reliable and boost is no where close to as reliable as n/a especially in a daily driver as i said b4 p29s and a built head (choosing the right parts ofcourse) will get u where u want to be and if u have the extra money get in the tranny goes d-series gears suck especially n/a z6 gears r close to ls gears and we all kno Ls gears suck

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Granted I would love to turbo my car, but after I did the rebuild I wouldnt have any money left over to get a turbo. Plus I need my car to be a reliable daily driver. Maybe in the future if I got another car as a dd I could make this a race car, but for now its my only means of transportation. And form what "J90crx" said is true, but if had a turbo on my car and I went up against a turbo b series it would be the same issue, Its just a catch 22. The D series doesnt have the poetential of the B and H series, but it has more than most people would think. Its more about turning those b series peoples heads because they think we dont have shit under our hoods. Im just looking to make my car a little quicker so it would be more fun to drive, but yet still want to keep the reliability and get over 30 mpg. But with only 1200 bucks in the bank and only making 10.50 an hr Im just trying to save up as much as I can this winter so that in the spring time I can do more suspension mods, get new rims, and do some engine work. Believe me I would love to put down 300+ whp but it would be a while before I could afford to turbo my car lol

1 - 20 of 100 Posts