Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay what set up is better for boostin??!? Help me w/ this one b4 i invest too much $$ on something i dont need...
d16y7 - or - mini-me (y7 blcok w/ y8 head)
--either way tha y7 bottom end will be fully built--

~~~
Juzt to give u a lil bit of barckround..
i have a 96 CivHB SHow car, yes it has 19z on it... big heavy show system & a fat ass 215lb driver(me).... no a/c
oh did i mention its automatic - but that will be swapped once engine build is completed...
I want to FULLY build my D-SeriEs + Boost it... & achieve about 350-375whp -- but i wont settle for anything less than 325whp...

I knwo anything past 250whp isnt really streatable... my coz yusta have a 250whp 1.8t '00 golf, it was set up for auto-X .... But lemme jsut tell u... 250whp is frigin Great!!! But i wanna knwo that i have more power than he did... also more power than my friends who are about to boost there gti vr6'z... all from a lil sohc

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
staying non vtec would be better for boost easier to tune ( i know people will back me up on this ) using the y7 head ported to the max , using a ex y8 manifold ported would also help ... get rid of the shitty y7 intake manifold .. get a big turbo cam, build the bottom end .. get serious head work from a professional company , that are use to doing work you'll need done ( endyn, exospeed, rc engineering all do good head work ) slap on a huge turbo thats capable of pushing over 15psi ... but that acutually depends on wether or not you want acceleration .. or a sick top speed .. your gonna need a bitchin fuel management setup .. fpr, huge injectors, standalone system .. what your talking about is gonna cost some serious money ... pistons, rods, crank .. bottom end work = $$$$ but its all good .. it can be done .. just do some research .. ask around .. talk to pros .. find out what exactly needs to be done to get past 325whp on a single D

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with thesquad, turboing a non vtec engine gives much more linear curves, and more predictable results.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much do you know about your engine? How much do you know about turbocharging this engine?

These are the questions to ask.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know nothing about engines.... i just knwo basicz abotu honda engiens.. & swaps.. what will go into what... stuff like that... -- My civ so far is all sho no go.... i knwo more than enough about everything else... but i knwo very lel about engines

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thesqad127 said:
staying non vtec would be better for boost easier to tune ( i know people will back me up on this ) using the y7 head ported to the max , using a ex y8 manifold ported would also help ... get rid of the shitty y7 intake manifold .. get a big turbo cam, build the bottom end .. get serious head work from a professional company , that are use to doing work you'll need done ( endyn, exospeed, rc engineering all do good head work ) slap on a huge turbo thats capable of pushing over 15psi ... but that acutually depends on wether or not you want acceleration .. or a sick top speed .. your gonna need a bitchin fuel management setup .. fpr, huge injectors, standalone system .. what your talking about is gonna cost some serious money ... pistons, rods, crank .. bottom end work = $$$$ but its all good .. it can be done .. just do some research .. ask around .. talk to pros .. find out what exactly needs to be done to get past 325whp on a single D
Yeah, the ported y7 head will outflow the y8 head anyday of the week. since its going to be forced induction, you can just "shotgun" the intake manifold since you don't have to worry about flow quality. if your goal is 350 on a sohc D... sleeves, pistons, rods. if you've got the cash, upgrade the valvetrain components as well. pretty much what the thesquad said.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well as long is it cost me less than tha qouted $15,000 for my original idea...(fully built GSR 550whp on pump gas) ~~

See i have a prob my cars/trucks - they are a addiction.. i put almost all of my $$ into them...
civic::(estimated)
$2000 :: rims/tires (19z)
$7000+ :: Change color of car, shave everything, custom fender work, new suspension, full interior work(seats/cage/everything else wrapped)
$3500 :: stereo equipment/install
~~~~
*I dont do Drugs & i Rarely Ever drink, i just work - hang w/ my friends & spend alot of $$ on my civic...nothing wrong w/ that...** Its my life..

I finally made up my mind to stick w/ a SOHC...after yrs of changing my mind over & over agian... -- so w/ my honda.. its either Go BIG or GO home....
Im not about to do a half-ass engine build.. i wont settle for anythign less tha 325whp

·
Registered
12,272 Posts
Gusto222 said:
well as long is it cost me less than tha qouted $15,000 for my original idea...(fully built GSR 550whp on pump gas)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

for 6,000 grand ... Javier @ JG Engine Dynamics can build you a 550whp B16 pushing 20psi on 93 Octane ...

$15,000 for a GSR <--- is fucking ridiculous ...

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i'll tell you this, if you have $10-11G to spend and want a FAST car, then i can post a tone od info for you. if you want just a decent car and remain stock, then there are several options you can go. FYI fully building the bottom end w/o doing any head work is pointless. why? well what's the use of having a motor that can support 30 lbs of boost if the ehad can't go past 16-17? You need head work too. You'll also have to look at trany work, axels, suspension and breaking. My ptoject is costing me just show of $15g for everything being done. But I'm doing a pro setup for the streets. I'm planning on 500 wheel power as well. Not sure your goals though.

well hopefully you'll have some ideas as to what you really want.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thesquad, i would not have them touch beer's motor. JG is crap. why do you think eldebrock dropped their line of products? they no longer support JG. I've seen some of their so called specality machining wor. all i can say is yea, it's special alright. so special that endyn had to completely redo the head from ground up in order to save if for the race car some guy was building. GJ JE!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thesqad127 said:
Gusto222 said:
well as long is it cost me less than tha qouted $15,000 for my original idea...(fully built GSR 550whp on pump gas)

:shock: :shock: :shock:

for 6,000 grand ... Javier @ JG Engine Dynamics can build you a 550whp B16 pushing 20psi on 93 Octane ...

$15,000 for a GSR <--- is fucking ridiculous ...
okay so what can he do for my d16y7!!?
I knwo AEBS makes some of tha best sleeves out there... but im pretty sure they only make them for B& H series... Soo i dunno can some1 help me out here... ** oh yeah i kinda wanna spray a lil 50shot over tha top too... heehhahah

What do u recommend i get?? (Nitrous, sleeves, rods, pistons, valves, cams, etc...)

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i actually perfer the eagel sleeves to any others. for several reasons. they allow for much better cooling by not using a "complete" closed deck design. but they also offer good sidewal supprot witht he ears they have on the sleeves.

I woudl keep the y7 head, and get stainless steel valves and beter springs. if you get a good machien shop (i use endyn) you can have them install the .5mm larger than stock and the valves are the same costs as stock size and maching is not hardly much more, maybe like $50 more average. Your biggest thing is a cam. if you don't get a custom ground cam, then i would only get a crower cam. the rest are ok, but their turbo cam for the sohc seems to be the best over all.

if you like JE that's fine, But I've seen their work many times, and I garanty you, if you sat it next to an ednyn peice, and did not knwo what was what, you'll select the endyn peice every time, not to mention endyn's heads would flow abotu 10-15% better than JG's average.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts