Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my engine builders shop today and he happened to find a set of ls rods pr4 fully reconditioned with arps for me. I was explaining how I need the sides to be milled to fit the crank journal. He had no problems with that. But he tells me if we bush the rod that the piston will need a circlip. Which my stock d16a6 pistons don't have. And if we mill the top of the rod will depend on piston choice. Is there other oem pistons that will work for what I'm trying to accomplish? This is kind of out of my element. I am shooting for a high compression turbo build. Nothing crazy 220-250 whp range. Thank you

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
Arias will custom make pistons to your needs for about $600~. No OEM pistons have the circlip style pistons, they are all press fit pins. The machinest should be able to mod the pistons to accept circlip and bushings.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
wants 10:1 compression?

use stock rods and pistons, and skin head 4-5 thousands and get your wanted compression on 100% perfectly fitting parts.

LS rods un-necessary at 200whp and not worth the trouble

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How would he go about "modding" it
Same way I did . . . they are called keyseat cutters. Need to be able to interpolate a circle so it probably requires a CNC or for your machinist to be extremely creative.

Thank you sir! I will bring that up with him. I'm really just trying to stay away from pistons that are $500 with my end goal is just not worth it to me. And vitaras are a good option but I would rather not sacrifice the compression I intended on. But I'm still open to ideas

·
D-series Janitor
Front Engine Dragste
1,220 Posts
Thank you sir! I will bring that up with him. I'm really just trying to stay away from pistons that are $500 with my end goal is just not worth it to me. And vitaras are a good option but I would rather not sacrifice the compression I intended on. But I'm still open to ideas
No doubt . . . my pistons were $80 off eBay with rings. Shooting for 11:1

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I just asked him to cut the piston. And he said he won't do it. He doesn't want to cut the wrist pins and he won't bore out the hole because he said 2mm is too much. I do trust this guy hesaid been doing it forever but this puts me back at square 1!

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
2 different GX pistons out there:

98-00 GX piston
PDN-A00
21mm pin
49.28 total height
30.50 compression height
2.5 dome height

01-03 GX piston
PMS-A00
19mm pin
47.42 total height
27.00 compression height
1.5 dome height

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll run those numbers past him. Maybe he can shave the piston down a bit. Because I'm doing a a6y8 mini me. And already coming out of the gate with 10.3:1. Does anyone know what type of CR that gx pistons (21mm wrist pin) will net me?

·
\/Your Mom Was Here\/
Vibe GT
4,832 Posts
I'll run those numbers past him. Maybe he can shave the piston down a bit. Because I'm doing a a6y8 mini me. And already coming out of the gate with 10.3:1. Does anyone know what type of CR that gx pistons (21mm wrist pin) will net me?

12.5 :1 ~

Shave the piston .5mm and use a composite d16a6 head gasket and you get around 11.5 :1. Mess around with some of the other pistons offered and head gaskets to see if you can reach your desired CR.

If all else fails just use the stock d16a6 pistons and shave the head and use the bushing/button cap method to retain the pin.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts