Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.. I was going to swap to a B16A2 but decided against it. So im going to boost my cute single cam. Im going to purchse the parts by pieces because I am a broke college student.
If it helps, im looking for at least ~190WHP or enough to beat stock RSX-S', S2000's, and FG Si's.

Any recommendations on what parts to start ordering first? It may sound like a stupid question, but I dont want to order the exhaust manifold, later to find out its the wrong one for the turbo. Thanks!!! :cool2:

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might want to build that y7 a little better to Handle the Boost.

It depends actually but you're gonna want more and you might Break Down.

Give us a Run Down again on what you have done to your Engine?
I guess ill look into building the motor some before actually putting the turbo then.
I was looking to boost 6-8 on the stock block. Ill start off with the ARP head studs first.
All the motor has is an intake.

·
Registered
98 Civic
1,245 Posts
For 190-200whp...

Good clutch, ARP headstuds and a 50 trim Go-Autoworks turbo kit @ about 8psi. ;)

·
\/ apply baby lotion here \/
'98 Civic 4 Door
11,260 Posts
I guess ill look into building the motor some before actually putting the turbo then.
I was looking to boost 6-8 on the stock block. Ill start off with the ARP head studs first.
All the motor has is an intake.
That's what I thought you had also. You could throw a Turbo in there and make it work.
Just Remember one of the Weakest Parts of Block with Boost are the Piston Rods. If you want something Bad @ss, might want to start there and work your way up.

You could piece all your Parts together little by little. You just got to make a List of the actual parts you're looking for and get them as you go. You said on your other Thread that you want to get a Edelbrock Intake Manifold, it is a Nice piece but also pretty expensive. I just Swapped my y7 intake manifold to a y8 intake manifold a couple of weeks ago and I think that will work for me.
It's going to take you some time. Don't rush it. It'll come through. You'll see.

·
My 91 Crx Hf
97 Civic Coupe
2,164 Posts
do the exhaust, buy some headstuds and boost it. Everything needed for the turbo you'll need all at once to install it, but for example so far I have bought (in this order), obd1 conversion and p28, turbo and manifold, oil lines and wastegate, bov and 450cc injectors, intercooler, and I still need to get my downpipe and intercooler piping made and I will be able to install but I still need to get gauges, a turbo timer, and most importantly to get tuned to be DD ready lol. But my build came to a hault, because I am rebuilding my d16a6, and its only like $100 more to go vitara's/forged rods and fj-distributors parts compared to doing a full oem rebuild, and it'll be good till 400whp (theoretically).

yea like pata said a y8 manifold should do for your goals (with room to spare), and like sohc sol said Go-Autoworks makes great products.

·
Registered
85 Dyno gt
259 Posts
When I look at build threads I see 250hp and up builds but mostly above 300hp it seems.

Thanks for the info on FJ site, lots of good stuff.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
mostly cuz a stock block can take roughly 220whp(d16). so most builds are 220whp and undr and 300whp and up simply cuz if your gonna spend the money to build your block up then why only go for 250whp. most go for 300-400whp after building the block. g/l w/ your build. i started w/ a turbo and built off of it. i think if your gonna peice a kit together always get the turbo first, depending on what turbo, size of turbo, ect. you'll need a d/p and mani that have the right flanges, what injectors you need depends on how much air your turbo is pushing, oil lines w/ the proper fittings to fit your turbo, ect. i think you get the point.

g/l w/ the build

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im going to order the ARP head studs first then instead of getting Volk lugs.

Is $120 shipped from eBay a good price?

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Go talk to Uncle Summit. I think I picked up my studs for like $95 shipped.

Think about a cam. Easiest way to open up power on a turbo build is with a cam. A new Crower runs about $320, but you D16 guys have more (and cheaper) options than us D17 guys. Either way, I'm put down 260whp on 8.5 pounds with a Stage 2 Crower.

·
Registered
1966 Volvo
3,608 Posts
Gah! And if you can, don't skimp on the turbo. While lots of folks have run the ching-chang turbos without problems, it's a real crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get a good one. A nice, T3-footed Garrett Super 60 (around $500 new) would be a good find if you could catch a used one.

·
Registered
1999 Civic hatch
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gah! And if you can, don't skimp on the turbo. While lots of folks have run the ching-chang turbos without problems, it's a real crapshoot as to whether or not you'll get a good one. A nice, T3-footed Garrett Super 60 (around $500 new) would be a good find if you could catch a used one.
So the one im ordering is a generic one?

I also wanted to know what other parts I can order that are generic such as the intercooler. I am not trying to be cheap, but I dont want to pay just to have a fancy name emblazoned or imprinted on the product. I know my intake performs just as well, if not better than other AEM, Injen, Fujita etc. intakes.

·
formerly allnaturalrex
1989 honda crx si
4,639 Posts
man im tired of these kinds of threads.

·
Lifes short, drive fast!
2,350 Posts
man im tired of these kinds of threads.
how can anyone not be?!?!?!

TRY A FUCKING SEARCH!!!!

There are HUNDREDS of threads that answer EVERY SINGLE ONE of your questions. No your setup is not special, no there are not special circumstances here that need special attention. This is just like EVERY OTHER fucking low boost "build"!!!! jesus christ! i mean i help noobs all the time, hell im tutoring a guy on clubcivic right now, but this shit is INSANE!

·
Registered
honda/firebird form.
6,966 Posts
how can anyone not be?!?!?!

TRY A FUCKING SEARCH!!!!

There are HUNDREDS of threads that answer EVERY SINGLE ONE of your questions. No your setup is not special, no there are not special circumstances here that need special attention. This is just like EVERY OTHER fucking low boost "build"!!!! jesus christ! i mean i help noobs all the time, hell im tutoring a guy on clubcivic right now, but this shit is INSANE!
calm down buddy, everything will be ok...

·
nonvtak ftw
5,230 Posts
the funny thing about this thread is the fact that it doesnt matter WTF the op buys first. It doesnt matter what order he buys parts at all because until his has them all they will only be boxs of parts.

mark dow all the parts you will need and pick from them out of a hat.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts