Honda D Series Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the topic says, Im putting a crower stg. 2 in my z6 and wanted to know what you guys used. crower instructions stated to use a 30 or 40 weight high end oil , non synthetic.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx 4 the quick reply, I was planning on coating the whole cam in the supplied crower lube, Im just so nervous about firing this thing up for the first time being that crower states in the manual that the most important part of a cams life is the first 30 min. , insuring that there is no metal to metal contact at any time. They do recommend using a can of GM EOS , pouring it on top of the complete valve train b4 start up. Thanx

BTW- it also said not to let the RPM's fall below 2500 for 30 min. after initial start up? any input on this?

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
gloryhog said:
BTW- it also said not to let the RPM's fall below 2500 for 30 min. after initial start up? any input on this?
Adjust your throttle cable very tight(throttle plate open like 5-10%) and your engine will rev at the rev you want(2500+rpm) and have a steady rpm for the 30 min needed....

·
Brokedick Millionaire
40,237 Posts
Right, and the ZEX cam info if for old school V8 motors.......the cam is splash lubed from the oil thrown off the crankshaft.

Adjusting the throttle cable tight will NOT give a steady idle for 30 minutes. It WILL result in a surging idle from 600-1800 rpm as the ECU cycles in the fuel injectors on/off because the idle is out of range.

Next.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
transzex said:
Adjusting the throttle cable tight will NOT give a steady idle for 30 minutes. It WILL result in a surging idle from 600-1800 rpm as the ECU cycles in the fuel injectors on/off because the idle is out of range.

Next.
The ecu will not try to correct your idle if your TPS say more than .5V !
I put my right foot on the gas pedal to rev my engine to 2500-3000rpm (cold winter here-engine heat faster...) and my rpm DIDN'T bounce!!!! Tighting the throttle cable far enough give the same effect as pushing the gas pedal!!!!

next

·
Registered
Del sol
319 Posts
Don't argue with bone look at his rep. points. He knows more than you and has probably been doing this a lot longer than you have. Everytime I see him I try to learn as much as I can from him. so what he says it true.

·
Cool User Title Here
6,900 Posts
B20BbenN said:
The ecu will not try to correct your idle if your TPS say more than .5V !
I put my fight foot on the gas pedal to rev my engine to 2500-3000rpm (cold winter here-engine heat faster...) and my rpm DIDN'T bounce!!!! Tighting the throttle cable far enough give the same effect as pushing the gas pedal!!!!

next
Correct....tightening the throttle cable has the same effect as pushing the gas, or spinning the throttle rotor by hand. Only a slight adjustment will cause the ecu to try and learn how to idle

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
eg2solsi500 said:
Don't argue with bone look at his rep. points. He knows more than you and has probably been doing this a lot longer than you have. Everytime I see him I try to learn as much as I can from him. so what he says it true.
I respect bone, he probably just miss read my previous reply......

Just because I have 130 rep didn't mean I dont know shit!!! :TD:

·
Registered
320 Posts
well i use full synthec castrol syntec 10w30... so if i were on a rebuild or something... id use a nice castrol 5w30, non synth... or if your looking for metal use a valvoline... something good... DO NOT USE PENZOIL, OR QUAKER STATE IN ANY FOR ITS ALL CRAP!!! ALL PERAFIN WAX BASED!

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
eg2solsi500 said:
rep means nothing... just that people like what you have posted in the past..

although, he does, most of the time, know what he is talking about, no one knows everything..

in this case, i wouldnt recommend listening to mista bone...

·
I
95 Civic coupe
3,984 Posts
transzex said:
Right, and the ZEX cam info if for old school V8 motors.......the cam is splash lubed from the oil thrown off the crankshaft.

Next.
i think you might be thinking of the idle screw... the cable is connected to the pedal..

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I've heard to use a cheap mineral oil for breaking in. I myself used a Mobil(1?) mineral oil, and drove on that for about 500 kilometers.
Then I changed over to Castrol GTX Magnatec, and put in a new s2k filter.

Drove for another 500 kilometers (not precise, just in that ball park), and drained the oil again.
Put on the same Castrol oil, and now I will start to do 5000 km intervalls.

Has worked well so far atleast...

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
sweet , Im putting the cam in on saturday and I am so ready. Hell Im more anxious to put this cam in than the first time I got lucky!!! <-----dirty bastard!!

I got the springs and retainers in , Im just waiting for some gaskets and a cam seal

1 - 17 of 17 Posts